The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I just whipped out my API test kit and used it on my tank for the first time in awhile to test my nitrates. And wow, it turned so red that it was between the 80ppm and 160ppm color on the reference sheet.

Now I know that you are all going to ask me "Did I calibrate my test kit?" and the answer is no, but I did test it on my tap water which I know from the county water report to have 0.5ppm nitrates, and the tests results showed yellow, or 0ppm, so I at least have one data point that it looks ok. I know that I should also test other concentrations using distilled water and KNO3 (both of which I have on hand) including 80ppm and 160ppm to verify the accuracy of the sheet, but let's say I do this and it looks more or less accurate. Should I do something about this?

I am dosing EI right now and doing 50% WC weekly. I measured just after dosing KNO3 for the 3rd time this week, so nitrates should be at the weekly max.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO, it's alright as long as you're doing weekly water changes.

It would be a problem if you're having algae issues.
No algae issues to mention so far besides a diatom bloom (my tank is only 6 months old, it's getting less and less over time I think)

Eh, I've hit 200+ppm of nitrate in my 29gallon and everyone is Alive and doing well, cories still breeding all the time. I just stopped dosing kno3 until it goes back down.
Yeah, my fish seem fine. Do you think I should cut out the KNO3 until I see it drop back down? Goes without saying that I will calibrate first to make sure that the color I'm seeing means what I think it means.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts