The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
And, what is a 105 watt CFL light?
It's a SHO (super high output) cfl bulb...6300 lumens - equivalent to a 525 watt bulb. I'm guessing it has a similar type reflector to those clamp aluminum shop fixtures.

I've been wondering if these bulbs would work in deep(20+ inch) tanks and what kind of PAR they put out. Interested to see what other people have experienced with these.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This is a far out extrapolation, but my guess is that that bulb in a vertically mounted reflector, like the Home Depot worklights, would give you:
at 20 inches: 80-130 micromols of PAR
at 24 inches: 50-120 micromols of PAR
at 30 inches: 30-60 micromols of PAR

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is in a bell reflector but not one of the cheapo Home Depot ones. It's about 18-20" from the tank and the dimensions are 20.5x19.5x22.5". Sounds like I should raise it a few more inches. So is co2 recommended for this amount of light?

·
Registered
736 Posts
This is a far out extrapolation, but my guess is that that bulb in a vertically mounted reflector, like the Home Depot worklights, would give you:
at 20 inches: 80-130 micromols of PAR
at 24 inches: 50-120 micromols of PAR
at 30 inches: 30-60 micromols of PAR

·
Registered
736 Posts
It's about 18-20" from the tank and the dimensions are 20.5x19.5x22.5". Sounds like I should raise it a few more inches. So is co2 recommended for this amount of light?
Does that mean you have it 40.5-42.5" above the substrate? You may need to lower it (maybe somewhere between 3-8" above your tank). I think those numbers hoppy gave are inches above the substrate...could be wrong though.

Where did you get the reflector? Does it cover the whole tank well or does it spotlight?

CO2 is good with any amount of light. It works best if you can make sure it stays consistent. Just from personal experience, DIY CO2 will have fluctuations.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya i'd put it at about 36-38" from the substrate. The reflector is about 18" in diameter and I got it with the bulb. Stupid online deal said it was the whole kit but it was just reflector and bulb. Had to rig my own socket fixture. It covers the surface area very well and even lights my whole living room. DIY CO2 was how I was going to start out and once I get the extra cash moving on to pressurized.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The light probably gives you 20-40 micromols at the substrate. That covers a range from barely enough light to low medium light. Within that range CO2 is not essential, but would certainly help get the plants growing better. Remember, near the top of the tank the intensity is considerably higher too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.