The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I am looking for a plant to grow on driftwood in a high light tank. Any suggestions are appreciated
Hi York1,

I agree with houseofcards unless possibly you are running metal halide.

How 'high' of light are we talking? If you cannot provide PAR value maybe type/make of fixture and depth to driftwood would help. I grow both 'Trident' and 'Windelov' in a 30 gallon (36"X13"X16") about 3"-4" below the surface on driftwood and they do fine. The tank has 2X36 watt power compact lamps with an AH Supply reflector and provides over [email protected] at the substrate level (13") so I would guesstimate the PAR at the java ferns is about [email protected]

30 gallon with 2X36 watt PC; java fern @3"-4" below surface

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I was under the impression that java fern would burn under the high light? I like java fern and would love to use it
As an experiment, I've placed a few pieces of driftwood with attached Java Fern out in the 85 gallon stock tank. With a little shade help from the Lilies and Water Hyacinth the light levels are moderated and I'm getting surprisingly good growth.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Running 2 finnex 24/7 on max. I would start the new plant on the lower part of the driftwood which is about 12" directly under the fixtures
Hi York1,

The Planted+ on max has a PAR=95 @ 12" depth if measured directly under the fixture. At 6" away from center the PAR=32.5 @ 12". I would think you will have minimal problems. Watch for algae showing up on the leaves and adjust the photoperiod to minimize.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
As an experiment, I've placed a few pieces of driftwood with attached Java Fern out in the 85 gallon stock tank. With a little shade help from the Lilies and Water Hyacinth the light levels are moderated and I'm getting surprisingly good growth.
I'm sure that's true, since it can grow in a wide variety of conditions, but just to dispel any myth, the term "low-light' only means it will grow in low-light. It doesn't need to be 'protected' by shade, if given bright light, co2, ferts it will grow even faster like all the other aquatic plants we know. It would only have problems if it's fert demand wasn't met.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm sure that's true, since it can grow in a wide variety of conditions, but just to dispel any myth, the term "low-light' only means it will grow in low-light. It doesn't need to be 'protected' by shade, if given bright light, co2, ferts it will grow even faster like all the other aquatic plants we know. It would only have problems if it's fert demand wasn't met.

Well, not knowing the amount of PAR for direct sunlight at @20" water depth, in somewhat tannin-ish water. So I'm doing this somewhat conservatively. Not to say it doesn't get brief blasts of sunlight between the cover plants, as the sun's position is rotated past. I'm just going on how big and fast the clear little growth tips of the newest leaves have gotten since the plants were placed in the tank a couple weeks back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.