The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had t8's on my 75 gallon tank and was just shy of two watts per gallon. I just upgraded to t5 lighting so I could add a few more demanding higher light plants. I am now around 3 watts per gallon. I have been using the t5's for just a couple of days but the small amount of algae I dud have is now growing quickly. I run my lights for 9 hours a day both when I had t8's and now with t5's. I split it up with the t5's now though since my water temp increases to much with t5's. I run 4.5 hours in the morning then turn them off around 4 hours and run them another 4.5 hours in the evening. My Co2 is around 25-30ppm. Do I need to shorten my lighting time or increase fert dosage to help keep algae under control. I an dosing Aquavitro right now per their dosing directions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When you increase the light intensity you begin driving the plants into faster growth, so they need more nutrients to keep up with that growth rate. CO2 is usually the most critical nutrient. I don't know how you determined what your CO2 level is, but it is unlikely to be accurate, because none of our CO2 measuring methods is accurate. That means you should probably increase the CO2 bubble rate a little, watch for bad reactions by the fish, and watch the plants to see if they do better. If they do, repeat this several times until the fish get upset, or the plants don't react to the increase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a couple of pics. You can see some GSA and then the hair algae on the green temple plants. I think I have found a possible cause. I have been using Discus Buffer which I found uses phosphate for the buffering. I haven't tested for phosphate but I would imagine it is high. I am looking at stopping the use of the Discus Buffer and going to a non-phosphate based buffer or possibly no buffer instead. I have been using it to drop my ph a little for the Discus and plants. My tap waters PH is around 7.8. I have had this algae all along in small amounts, but the new t5 lights have really made it grow a lot quicker.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is a moose antler. If you ever plan on putting one in your tank epoxy it. I didn't when I first put it and about a month later my ammonia spiked way up and ended up loosing a few fish. I pulled the antler out of the water and it smelled like death. I let it dry off then cleaned it and applied several coats of epoxy to it and let it dry for a week. I have had it back in the tank for 5 months now and all has been good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts