The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening gents,

I've been lurking around and came across a rather interesting topic that I knew about, but entirely forgot. I've got high light, three 6,500ks and a red plant growth light.

I've also got a CO2 set-up, that I've got working really well. Or so I think, I've noticed the Dwarf Hair Grass (DHG) actually growing. With the high light, I couldn't really see any change in the DHG, but with the CO2 I see new growth everywhere. Not just with the DHG, but just about everything is rocketing off.

So that's great and I'm really pleased, with just once exception. Algae is also growing, massively. It's turning the entire aquarium green (from the light reflecting off the algae, once I remove it, it's back to crystal clear). I was under the impression that CO2 really stops the growth of algae.

As I mentioned above, I know my CO2 system is working because when I turn it on, I've got an atomic inline diffuser, once it's going I can see the CO2 bubbles coming from my spray bar. That, and when I started nuking the tank under experimentation my fish decided to fly to the service for air.

What's up with the algae explosion? I expected it from the light, but it didn't really stop growing after the CO2 was set-up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention tank specs: 75 gal, 4 T5HO (6.5k), CO2 at 4BPS

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
CO2 does not stop algae by itself - it helps plants we want to grow faster, making algae less welcomed.

Key parts to setting up CO2 'right' are concentration and distribution. In your tank 4bps can be a lot and in mine it could be nothing: the plant types, plant density, fish stocking, availability of the right nutrients, lighting duration, water chemistry, etc etc are all parts of a larger puzzle.

Assuming your co2 concentration is about right (and that's a big assumption) I would double check your flow first. If co2 cannot get to plants, they cannot use it. Same goes for ferts.

Telling us what type of algae and where would help to figure out what's really going on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dose with Flourish trace and minerals, as well as some substrate tabs. I'll be adding excel to help kill the BBA (going to make my fish very stressed when I stuff them into a 5 gallon bucket for the overdose, they'll probably hate me).

Anyway, it's just the typical non-problematic green algae growing on the walls. Which I never see in those well planted tanks. o_O

·
Registered
447 Posts
GSA is there in the well planted tanks also ;)

You should look more careful at your water specs.

Just adding CO2 doesn't make the plants grow well. It's not the speed that should please you but how well the plant fares.

You should tell us the kH, gH and pH of your water. That will give a good idea of what's going on there. Also, a picture is worth a thousand words. You, so far, typed less than a hundred :)

I suspect your kH is up there close to ten or maybe worse? I noticed the BBA kept spreading in my tank when I put sodium bicarb to raise the kH fearing a pH drop.

For the last couple of weeks though I stopped raising kH (I use RO water so there is no kH if I don't put it there) and the BBA seems a bit weak and stopped spreading.

I suspect the same, you put CO2 in but the plants cannot get it due to your water chemistry. kH does that to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright gents, sorry it took me this long to reply. I have an amazing excuse. It took this long for me to get my GH and KH test in the mail! =P

Anyway, here is your hundred word picture. However... I know I"m complaining about Algae but I actually scrapped it all off. The green is from the lightning which I assume is coming from the plants (those leaves on the banana plant XD). Anyway, the results of the KH test might have caused me to scream like a girl. I've put in 22 drops and it would appear I maxed out the cart at 22 for 200-400ppm. So that means I've got over 400 I would assume.

My bottle of Excel came in and I just added 5 drops (per instructions i should have added 2.5 (initial 5 doses per 10 gallon) but I thought I would take it slow) to the tank. The PH is at 7.5 right now. I've got a box of aquarium peat and will probably add it tonight.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
gH and kH tests are notoriously iffy.
You might want to look up the annual report from your water district.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
84 Posts
gH and kH tests are notoriously iffy.
You might want to look up the annual report from your water district.
What would one look for on their water quality report? Mine doesn't have the kh or gh anywhere listed by those names...?

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
My local report is much more detailed. You look for pH, alkalinity, hardness (CaCO3), Fe, Copper, Mg, TDS, P, etc etc. my local report

At the bottom of FlyingSheep's report there is a number to call for a more detailed version.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
You have a ton of light, if you still have that 4 bulb unit on the tank. Based on the photo provided, you have a lot of space inbetween plants. Based off of that, I am going to say you have a relatively small amount of plantmass.

High light + little plantmass = algae.
Yep, you need to turn off at least two of the bulbs, possibly three until you learn to manage a tank with lower light. Then you can try a high light tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been running it on 2 bulbs for a long time now. A LONG time. =(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts