1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you aren't using CO2, that's way too much light. Use two bulb fixtures if you will only be using excel.

Oops, didnt see where you mentioned pressurized CO2.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I was looking at that earlier....Why is it so cheap? Is it reliable?

There are some areas on the fixtures that create the lower price, maybe a little lower quality ballast, the reflector is one big refelctor versus small one over each bulb. But I have the 72" without timer on my 125 and I love it! Have no had any troubles with it, the ballasts work fine no noise. Even pushed the thing off the back of the aquarium and cringed as it hit the floor... nothing broke I was shocked.

Overall they are nice little pieces for the price.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are some areas on the fixtures that create the lower price, maybe a little lower quality ballast, the reflector is one big refelctor versus small one over each bulb. But I have the 72" without timer on my 125 and I love it! Have no had any troubles with it, the ballasts work fine no noise. Even pushed the thing off the back of the aquarium and cringed as it hit the floor... nothing broke I was shocked.

Overall they are nice little pieces for the price.
How is your plant growth with those lights?
I really want to go with a catalina fixture but the other fixture is ridiculously inexpensive... Is it worth it to pay more for the catalina fixture over the odysseas fixture?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Wow the catalina has 6 5' bulbs in it?? Yea that may be overkill! My plant growth is great, I have to trim my ludwigia pretty much weekly. With 480 watts out of that catalina, you would really have to crank the CO2 etc and sounds like potentially a huge algea issue, that setup would definitely be more for a reef setup.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i also have a 125g tank just starting out i dont not want to use c02.. whats a good light set up i should use??

thanks
That Odyssea fixture at full blast or go T5NO

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
That Odyssea fixture at full blast or go T5NO

I wouldnt run it full blast or you will have to run CO2, give the fixture a little credit it can through some light. I have to run CO2 on my tank with it.

However, the lights can be turned on in pairs. So you could get it and run only two bulbs! just fyi

·
Registered
46 Posts
they are out of stock right now!!! im trying to find another place i can order it any other sites?? i like that it has the auto timer on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow the catalina has 6 5' bulbs in it?? Yea that may be overkill! My plant growth is great, I have to trim my ludwigia pretty much weekly. With 480 watts out of that catalina, you would really have to crank the CO2 etc and sounds like potentially a huge algea issue, that setup would definitely be more for a reef setup.

I have a 72" catalina fixture with 4 80watt bulbs and I only run 2 bulbs and that is more than adequite light....4 is overkill, 6 is the planet mercury....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts