The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm setting up a new 60 gallon, low tech, planted tank. I'd like to use tap water instead of RO. I live in Los Angeles and am on DWP water and tested the water today and found a KH of 7 and GH of 9. This seems higher than what other people have mentioned as their KH/GH.

Should I be concerned about my KH/GH? These are the plants I'm planning on keeping:

Lilaeopsis mauritiana
narrow leaf java fern
rotala sp green
hygrophila corymbosa
staurogyne repens

Thanks,
-Dave

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You could post a message in the Fertilizer and Water Paramaters forum - there will definitely be someone there who can answer your question. I do know these are normally measured in degrees KH and GH and are translatable into parts per million. I add Seachem Equilibrium to my water to raise the GH to 5, so 9 is over that, 1 degree short of twice as much.

Your question was good and should be easy to answer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you'll be fine. mine is 8.2PH, 7KH, 11GH, no problems

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
That is not bad at all. You might not be able to breed the softest water fish, but that water is just fine for GH and KH. Just about all the community fish sold in the average pet store will do just fine in that water.
Pretty much all the aquarium plants will do just fine, too.
There are a few specialty plants that really demand soft water (low calcium, acidic water) but I do not think your plant list includes any of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts