The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my first planted tank and am trying to get a handle on my well water. Bypassing my home water softener; Kh is 300ppm (17 degrees), Gh is 375ppm (21 degrees), ph is 7.2. I just installed an RODI system with plans to mix RO and tap water (maybe 60/40) to bring the hardness down to a level which would not limit my plant and livestock selection, but still be adequately mineralized. (Aquarium will have ADA aquasoil, CO2, and AI Prime Freshwater lights.) Now my question: My RODI system has a TDS meter which says my input water has only 19ppm TDS (output of 0ppm). Can this even be possible? Do my plans make sense?
Thanks - Bob

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My tank is not set up yet, so the measurements are without CO2 and bypassing the house water softener. I also expected a higher ph.
Did you measure the pH right out of the tap or did you let the water sit for a day or more?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Right out of the tap. I did not realize that would change.
Yes, the water will almost always have a lower pH than if you let it off gas for 24 hours.

I'd take a cup of it and let it sit out for a bit then measure the pH.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am setting up my first planted tank and am trying to get a handle on my well water. Bypassing my home water softener; Kh is 300ppm (17 degrees), Gh is 375ppm (21 degrees), ph is 7.2. I just installed an RODI system with plans to mix RO and tap water (maybe 60/40) to bring the hardness down to a level which would not limit my plant and livestock selection, but still be adequately mineralized. (Aquarium will have ADA aquasoil, CO2, and AI Prime Freshwater lights.) Now my question: My RODI system has a TDS meter which says my input water has only 19ppm TDS (output of 0ppm). Can this even be possible? Do my plans make sense?
Thanks - Bob

My source water is similar and my tds comes through ro system at about 25. I do not use the DI I absolutely second owning a tds pen but I think over time you will see your tds be very low once the ro unit does it’s thing.

My waste was was 2/1 until I added a second membrane. Now I run 1/1 or very close. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
My source water is similar and my tds comes through ro system at about 25. I do not use the DI I absolutely second owning a tds pen but I think over time you will see your tds be very low once the ro unit does it’s thing.

My waste was was 2/1 until I added a second membrane. Now I run 1/1 or very close. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow my tap water comes out at a TDS of 12:)

Reactions: mbkemp

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks - Bob
Hi
Water at 17 dKH and 21 dGH cannot have 19 ppm TDS, that is a wrong value. If you want you can check the TDS meter. Here is how, How to calibrate or verify TDS & Conductivity meters.

Another idea is instead of mixing RO/DI with tap, which will not produce consistent water parameters, you can disconnect the DI and have water ready for the aquarium. RO membrane’s usual removal rate is about 95%. That will produce water at 0.85 dKH and 1 dGH. These are perfect values to work with ADA Aquasoil substrate. And don’t worry about pH, it will be controlled and buffered by the substrate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.