The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be getting a lot of stunting on all my plants and i'm beyond confused. I thought i had everything ideal but i guess not. Everything seems to be pointing to a co2 deficiency but i have a fog of co2 in my tank running my inline atomizer at maximum. I just cleaned it and about two weeks ago so it's clean.

Fertz: I dose Fertz using the EI dosing for a 29 gallon tank NPK and csm+b and GH booster.

Lighting: I have 40 par at my substrate and around 100 par at the surface using my dimmable DIY LED light that sits 30 inches above my tank. My lighting period is 9 hours.

Substrate: inert black sand with root tabs

pressurized CO2 with inline atomizer on a sun sun canister filter full blast with a fog of co2 throughout the tank. Both drop checkers bright yellow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just over there, he is pushing a crap ton of co2 through the tank. If he had any living things other than the plants in the tank, they would probably be dead lol.
Yeah i don't get it because i know have low/medium light if i had like 150 par at the substrate then i could understand why it might be impossible to put enough co2 in the tank. But since i have low light i don't understand why my co2 demand would be impossible to fulfill under this lighting.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
One thing fish can do for you is tell you if you have about the right amount of CO2 in the water. That is pretty close to the amount that drives them to the surface to "gulp for air". If you have non-limiting fertilizing, good CO2, and enough light, it is hard to stop the plants from growing. Very low water temperature, maybe very high water temperature, maybe chlorine in the water, a big shortage of iron in the water, are about all I can think of that might be a problem.

What are the chances that your PAR measurements are way off? A LED light 30 inches above the tank, unless it has 40 degree optics, seems unlikely to give you the PAR you mentioned. Very low light would also give you the stunting.

You might look at the graph in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/136733-led-light-36-high-tank-18.html#post1443426 and see if you can calculate your PAR and get in the right ballpark with it. (Of course measuring the PAR is the best way to go.)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I just started a plant-only tank couple days ago and my drop checker is also very bright yellow. I can't lower it anymore because then there is no bubbles coming out of my diffuser.

Anyways, how important is enough OXYGEN to plants? Maybe it's the oxygen. I started worrying since I couldn't get the drop checker to be lime green. So I'm not sure if I have enough oxygen. Then I read on some site and it said that oxygen deficiency causes stunted growth in plants, can inhibit good bacteria, and may cause algae.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
carbon dioxide (CO2) gas at the Horseshoe Lake tree kill area

I've also seen areas in Africa where natural CO2 emissions have killed large and small animals who strayed into the low lying zones and vultures also died going after the supposedly easy pickings. The plants looked sick and yellowish too.

So try backing off to lime green and see if that helps.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Might be something other than CO2........but the progressively smaller tip growth suggest it strongly.

You can cram lots of CO2, but you still need light and ferts etc.

And also.......some time for things to recover.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing fish can do for you is tell you if you have about the right amount of CO2 in the water. That is pretty close to the amount that drives them to the surface to "gulp for air". If you have non-limiting fertilizing, good CO2, and enough light, it is hard to stop the plants from growing. Very low water temperature, maybe very high water temperature, maybe chlorine in the water, a big shortage of iron in the water, are about all I can think of that might be a problem.

What are the chances that your PAR measurements are way off? A LED light 30 inches above the tank, unless it has 40 degree optics, seems unlikely to give you the PAR you mentioned. Very low light would also give you the stunting.

You might look at the graph in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/136733-led-light-36-high-tank-18.html#post1443426 and see if you can calculate your PAR and get in the right ballpark with it. (Of course measuring the PAR is the best way to go.)

I actually measured the par using dave's par meter that's why i know the exact par values. I have 60 degree optics on my led's too. I just measured again and i'm at 37 inches above the substrate with 400 ma running through my LED's. I raised the fixture to the point where my current determines how much par i have at my substrate. for example, 400 ma means 40 par. 1000 ma of current is 100 par. I checked this out using Dave's par meter to confirm. This allows me to change my substrate par really easily with the turn of a dial.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might be something other than CO2........but the progressively smaller tip growth suggest it strongly.

You can cram lots of CO2, but you still need light and ferts etc.

And also.......some time for things to recover.
I guess all i can do now is wait and see if things improve. Any idea how long I need to wait before maybe trying something different?

Again it just seems so weird that my plants really suggest a co2 deficiency when my levels of light are low enough that providing enough co2 for my plants should be easy. I don't think my lights are too low where they don't get enough light. I've read from many people that 40-50 par should allow me to grow just about anything without stunting. Again i want to aim for my light being the limiting factor for my tank.

I also don't dose any extra iron to my tank so i'm not sure if that's an issue and I have my koralife pointed at the surface of my tank to provide lots of surface agitation.

Lately I have started dosing twice the recommended csm+b to see if that helps

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
It would do no harm to add some substrate fertilizer tabs, just to eliminate that as a problem. An inert substrate shouldn't be a problem either, as long as you are dosing the water adequately, and you seem to be.

For NPK are you using the usual - KNO3 and KH2PO4?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not sure if we are the same case, but worth a shot.

My tank is 270L, use T5no 24w*4, had really crazy co2 bys(10+...maybe 20+....2 diffuses)....and plant still grow poor/stunded.I had try just T5no 24w*2, still the same bad.For a long time I am so frustrated and Finally deside to go the other way....just low down 1/2 of the bubbles.

Amazing....some plant start to grow!!! After a few days i use only 1-2 bys, almost all plant still grow right now.

Again, not sure if we are the same case....
If things do not go right for you, just think i am newbie and joking....

a-hua

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.