The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a nurse in Indiana. I have had many FW community tanks over the past 30 years. I had switched to mostly saltwater by 2001. I have really missed my gouramis, angelfish and plants. I used home made CO2 in a 2L bottle. Is that still popular? I plan to read through this site but I thought I should introduce myself first. I have a 75 gal reef ready tank to convert to a planted angelfish tank. I never used a sump with FW before but this tank is drilled so I think I should try some type of trickle filter. Is that still done? I feel like I have forgotten everything.
Thanks,
Karen

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Welcome back. :) Many of us in the FW planted world do use sumps, but we do what we can to remove the trickle from trickle filters. I think you'll find DIY is a little too much for 75, but you can find some good ways to do pressurized cost effectively or avoid it entirely.

Enjoy your reading, and look for posts by wkndracer about his sump. I consider his the gold standard.

At the end of the day, I spend almost all my time here, but you can find good info at www.barrreport.com and http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/

The barrreport especially has some good info on large tanks with sumps.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Howdy neighbor,
You'll find lots of helpful folks here. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

As far the current state of planted aquariums, We do still use 2L CO2 but only for 5-20G tanks. We've moved on to pressurized CO2 tanks and regulator with several diffusing methods. DIY CO2 doesn't provide enough CO2 for a hi-tech situation.

Most of us use canister filters in large tanks which may implement a CO2 reactor.

Of course there are other issues like lights, nutrients, and substrate.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to this web site. I wanted to point out that you have a good source of plants right there in Indianapolis named RMC Aquatics. They are a sponsor of this web site and Mark has a really good selection of plants.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Welcome back to freshwater! I made a brief foray into saltwater--I had a 20 long with four damselfish and some live rock and feather dusters. It crashed when I moved to a new town where the water was terrible and I made the mistake of using tap water for a water change...The saltwater was pretty, but I think my planted tank is prettier! I'm an angelfish lover too. I bred them for a while, and had to get rid of them all, but I'm going to start up with a couple of pairs again soon. They're beautiful fish, and have so much personality.

I used to have a planted 80 gallon with a sump (it was originally set up for saltwater and drilled too, like yours). It worked fine for me. I tried the DIY CO2 for a while in my 55 but it didn't make enough CO2 for that much water, so I switched to pressurized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. I am recovering from H1N1 so I haven't been checking the boards or working on my tank. I will be working on it soon though.
Karen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts