The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dusting off my aquarium again. I used to keep a single fancy goldfish with java fern and one other plant whose name escapes me right now.

Long story short is that the goldfish didn't make it, the aquarium fell into neglect after that, until all the plants had died.

I finally have some time again, and this week I've gotten the aquarium fill with water to loosen all the crud in there. I'm hoping to have everything cleaned out and sanitzied by next week.

I'm thinking about trying to get several plants established before I add any fish. I'm planning on doing a tropical tank this time, possibly with guppies and tetras.

I currently have a colored gravel substrate, but I've been debating getting the eco-complete substrate. I've also debated leaving the substrate alone, using something like PMDD to get plants the nutrients.

I've been looking to see if there are tests to use for the macro's and possibly the micro's, but i've come up empty so far.

Anyhow, I'll cut the intro short now, (too late).

hello.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome Pierre Monteux. You will find this forum very useful for new setup. I will recommend eco complete for most tropical plants. I've had many successful growing with eco complete. I do dose and fertilize the substrate with root tabs. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it won't look the best, but would I be ok mixing eco-complete with my current substrate? Or putting it underneath? I've been debating the benefit of having 2-3 bags of it or just one for a bit of a boost. I'm assuming there isn't harm in mixing, I'd just have fewer nutrients available, and the possible bad look from the mix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.