The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Michael, I'm in Austin TX, and I'm a newbie to this forum, and to the planted aquarium hobby as well! I just wanted to say hi! After about 6 months of hardcore research, I'm finally about 2 weeks into a 30 gallon planted tank and I love it. I have already been a hardcore plant nerd for a few years, and I decided aquatic plants was the logical next step. And I decided hey, I might as well get some fish and shrimp to go with em! So here I am. I'm happy to be here and excited to learn even more from the more experienced folks on this forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oh! I guess I should post some specifics about my current setup.

livestock:
5 painted platys
4 glo lite tetra
5 otocinclus
5 cherry red shrimp
7 ghost shrimp
2 amano shrimp
5 nerite snails
3 assassin snails

plants:
ozelot sword
micro sword
dwarf hair grass
val
red ludwigia
dwarf anubias
amazon sword
java fern
1 plant i haven't identified yet which wasn't labelled at the store...

fluval stratum as a substrate

Equipment:
EHEIM 100 W TruTemp heater
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter
Fluval CO2 88 kit
Fluval fresh & planted LED 2.0, 7500K, 36 in

and here's a pic of the tank from a couple of days ago

kinda wanna replace the mini swords with a compact carpeting plant...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Welcome Michael!

Nice tank. Liking that driftwood piece.

What's the unknown plant you are speaking of? Is it that wavy, tentacles-like plant in the back right? If so, it might be a younger Crinum calamistratum.
Feel free post a separate thread looking for a plant ID on that specific plant, lots of people good at identifying plants here.

By the way, what's your plans for the white substrate patch in the front right corner?

What size tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there! And thanks, i love that driftwood. this is a 30 gallon tank.

YES that is the plant I couldn't identify!! And I think you might be right. I keep saying that name and then forgetting to write it down lol.

My plans for the white sand patch was just to add a little contrast to the dark plant substrate and to potentially use as a plantless feeding area for shrimp when i get more of them/start thinking about breeding but the longer i have that sand patch there the more i want to get rid of it bc of how quickly it begins to look dirty. we'll see how long i can stand coming home and cleaning it up every day haha. at least it's really thin so i don't have to worry too much about hydrogen sulfide building up and exploding into the tank when an assassin snail decides to burrow...

and i just ordered some subwassertang so i'm excited about that. i've already learned how much i hate java moss and hornwort...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.