The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been planning to set up my 30cm cube as a low tech shrimp tank. However I just scored a used paintball setup on craigslist for $20 and it got me thinking, should I go ahead and make this tank a hi-tech setup with CO2, ferts and high light?

I remember reading several times that mixing hi-tech components, like the co2 and ferts with the shrimp usually leads to the shrimp not reproducing as much. Yet at the same time, I have seen shrimp tanks with CO2 and demanding plants and at the same time have a thriving shrimp colony. The goal of this tank is to get the shrimp to breed, and therefore is the highest priority, but if I could incorporate co2 safely, then it would be a nice way to deter algae and have healthier plant growth. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
373 Posts
What I learn from using pressurized CO2 so far is cheap setup is more trouble than it is worth. It could work perfectly for you, or it could fluctuate and swing your co2 level every day turning your tank into algae central. If you are only dosing small level of co2, you would probably better off dosing Excel. If you are dosing large amount of co2, then using an unreliable regulator is risky and troublesome. My 2c.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Of course you can. I have a thriving colony of Malawa shrimp, some Amano and a few filter feeders. And a lot of co2. Surface is skimmed, as it should be, which helps me run it safely (surface scum inhibits proper gas exchange).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a high tech 10g with rcs and mischlings and they do pretty well. The rcs breed well and don't seem bothered at all. My mischlings are doing well, but they do seem to breed slower in high tech. I think crs would do okay, but taiwan reds would probably be harder in high tech. Are you planning on doing ei dosing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.