The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I've used the search and found nothing that explains what hi-tech and lo-tech is. When people say "I have a low-tech setup", what does that mean? Does that mean he has a cheapo equipment? Pardon my n00biness :D

thanks

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
There's a decent article about your question in the April 2007 issue of Aquarium Fish International magazine. The article starts on page 83. The title of it is, "Growing Plants in an Aquarium can be High, Medium or Low Tech" by Scott Hieber.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
In short,

Low-tech = low to mid lighting with lower technology, ie: pressurized CO2, pH controllers, etc..etc...

High-tech = bells & whistles...all my tanks are high-tech and I'm realizing I have to swap out some of the faster growing plants for slow growers since I'm tired of pruning!

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is what I would consider hi-tech, and low tech;

Hi-Tech: Good Lighting 2.5wpg or more, Pressurized CO2, doses ferts, monitors/controllers, automation...

Low-Tech: Low Lighting 2.5wpg or less, DIY CO2 or no co2, ferts or may not dose, no monitors/controllers, no automation

A low tech tank may have good lighting say 3wpg, and may dose ferts, and diy co2, but no automation no controllers, I would consider this a low tech tank. To be high tech I think a tank would have to have all the requirements of the hi tech that I listed above. Anything less would be low-tech or even mid-tech...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.