The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys... last night came across this filtering system called Hi-Q Complete Cycle Filter System. Basically they say/claim, and I quote;

"...that provide the growing environment for a third group of bacteria, which comeplete the Nitrogen Cycle by converting nitrates into harmless nitrogen gass, which simply escapes from the top of the aquarium."

does this means, this will ease all our painful "weekly" water change and allow us to be lazy?? anyone else heard of this miracle filtering system? any opinion?? there's more info here " http://hiq-usa.com/ ". thnx ya'll... :biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have actually heard of this and looked into it as a possible filteration system. I asked at wet web (or something like that)- highly thought of forum- where it was strongly recommended against. It is basically a RUGF- reverse undergravel filter with a HOT. There were couple of reputed people who were asked to use it for a couple of months and there were no fish deaths. Even then this was not recommended as no water change system but as a decreased water change system.
I sorely hope there is someone who has used this that can answer and give their input.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
There's no new technology involved. Anaerobic bacteria will break down nitrates. Plenums used to be popular in years gone by for providing a staging area for this process, especially in SW tanks.

Just we want nitrates in a planted tank, so it's rather counterproductive.

Plus nitrates aren't the only thing that needs to be removed by water changes- there's other hormones, oils, proteins, toxins (and possible excess ferts) that can build up in a tank.

So IMO this product is completely useless on a planted tank.

For the sake of fish, there's no substitute for water changes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have actually heard of this and looked into it as a possible filteration system. I asked at wet web (or something like that)- highly thought of forum-..
I sorely hope there is someone who has used this that can answer and give their input.
... decreased WC was the 1st thing comes to mind when read about this filter. and same here, was hoping more had opinion regarding this device. :)

There's no new technology involved. Anaerobic bacteria will break down nitrates. Plenums used to be popular in years gone by for providing a staging area for this process, especially in SW tanks.

Just we want nitrates in a planted tank, so it's rather counterproductive.

Plus nitrates aren't the only thing that needs to be removed by water changes- there's other hormones, oils, proteins, toxins (and possible excess ferts) that can build up in a tank.

So IMO this product is completely useless on a planted tank.

For the sake of fish, there's no substitute for water changes.

thnx Laura, ur right about WC required for other needs as well. I know it's not possible (or fair) to completely rule out WC, was just wondering if this was too good to be true... :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.