The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tested my water and I have a Ph of 7.6 I was reading other threads and I was thinking of getting Ph down but the threads made me change your mind about getting it. I don't know what happened but 3 barbs died and zipper loaches. Now I have one of my barbs acting weird. Hes swimming erratically, and can't keep up with the r,est ( not schooling ). It could also be the two pearl gouramis that are having mating /egglaying (there are bubbles and foam all over one side pf the top of my tank.

I am really concerned and my Gf just got me 2 zippers to replace the ones that died

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did your pH suddenly swing high or has it always been around 7.6? If it has always been near 7.6 than pH probably isn't your problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
For 20 years my pH 8.2 water never gave me issues with a wide assortment of fish - pH is rarely an issue and when it is, the problem would be from instability and not being too high or low - certainly the problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The beginning of august, you asked the question, how to cycle a tank.
Did you cycle your tank like people explained you to do? before you putted your fish in there, did you test your water for ammonia and nitrite?
This sounds more like Ammonia or/and nitrite poisoning. Or bad batches of fish...

Test your water and if you see ammonia/ nitrite, do big water change like 75% right away, and keep doing big water changes the next days untill you don't see any ammonia/nitrite left!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did cycle it. I used the filter from my already established 10 gallon, got bio rings for the canister filter, got new charcoal, I went to a LFS and ask them for a sample of some gravel in one of their established display tanks and since I go their all the time the employee that helps me all the time just told me to buy a plant and he would be able to throw in about 2 hand fulls of gravel which he did, I also added gravel from my 10 gallon and I did about a 30% water change on my 10 gallon and I used that water to add to the 55 gallon. All of this stuff were in tanks within good parameters.

I believe the tank is cycled. I added all of those items/plants from previously stable tanks and I was feeding the tank 3 times daily for 3-4 days previously to that thread as instructions that I found online on a website I found on google. I was testing the water every 3 days for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and the Ph. There was a spike in ammonia then ammonia went down and nitrites raised then I kept adding food until they both bottomed out to nothing... now I test every 3-5 days and everything is perfect except for the high Ph but I don't think that has anything to do with it now that you all have posted something. What I believe is that it could have been the pair of pearl gouramis that the female looks big and the male keeps making bubbles and foam up on the top of the tank. I have seen them try to attack the barbs specifically when they would go to eat.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the article. it cleared some questions I had about the tester from API. I didn't use any liquid additives in the tank although I was thinking about buying special blend and then using it with nite out II to just make sure everything is fine but I didn't do it since everything was within parameters. When I tested the water I would use the API at home and take a sample to pet supermarket which used the test strips stuff and everything was/is fine.

I was looking up on google black ruby barb acting strange and I found a few things...

The BRB has lost most of its red has darkened a lot, gotten lighter around the fin area, ever since we got him he was hiding and breathing really quickly and just acting a bit wierd. I was thinking it could be a parasite.

I just checked on the fish and he's now trying to swim around but its more like a vibrating movement and the black color between his 2nd and 3rd stripe is all gone and I just noticed one of the females Gil is red.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The male gourami is making a bubble nest so he and the female can breed. That's what the foamy bubbly stuff is. Just FYI so you're not concerned with it. The female is probably fat with eggs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.