The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
low tech means low cost, low maintenance, low budget, low number of equipment with unlimited possibly scapes, thats why i love low tech. here is my 80x40x40 tank with 1x15watts and hanging filter only. any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my plants are hydrilla, bacopa, hornwort, hygro sunset and polysperma, tenellus, vallisneria gigantea, they are ok with low light condition and they also give good colour contrast if planted together side by side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is awesome, I'm assuming 1 15w bulb is a normal output flourescent? what fixture? Is it clamped on rim or in a hood? I've had a hard time understanding the lighting department.

If my tank looked like yours I'd be happy.. The only thing I'd want is a green grassy "field" some to one side/foreground .. I think I have similar substrate (Seacham flourite black)

Do you use fertilizers or any other supplements?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks snakester1, yes of course you can have a tank like me or even much better than my. the plants are all undemanding, they are just beginner plants. i use 60cm TL5 with 6500k spectrum for lighting, it is hanging on DIY lamp hood with aluminium foil as reflector for the light. i think for makro suplement such as nitrates fish poops are enough, but i also add cheap local liquid fertilizer which just 80 cents per bottle LOL, i add it once per week about 10 tea spons. if u want to i can post the plants placement and the sketch of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
as much as i agree with the awesomeness of low tech! the options are not always "unlimited." Certain plants will only do well with co2 and relatively high light, regardless your tank looks awesome. Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Your tank is a great example of what can be done without all of the bells and whistles of a high-tech tank. Thanks for posting your pics and welcome to TPT!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Beautiful low tech tank! Clearly you know what you are doing. How often do you do maintenance on the tank - pruning, moving plants, cleaning, etc.?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thanks mathew and hoppy, i was starting to plant this tank about march with many changes and re-scapes. because its low tech no CO2 and low light setting i rarely do prunning, the growth rate looks slow. i change about 20-30percent water every week then add 8 tea spons of liquid fertilizer. thanks for your comments.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts