The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
You could really save some cash by buying a few bags of Pool Filter Sand. Maybe four bags for a 100 gallon. I really like the sand in my tank. Very easy to plant/replant.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Flourite black is my own favorite planted tank substrate. I mixed it with ColorQuartz (cheaper manufactured black ceramic-coated product) to cut costs in my big tanks, and I've also just set up a tank using the Mineralized Soil method in the sticky at the top of this forum.

I personally prefer to use substrates with some nutrient content rather than gravel or sand.

There's positives and negatives to most substrates, so it's just a matter of knowing how to work with whatever you choose. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use ecocomplete. It's great for moldings into slopes etc., and it has nutrients.
Does the eco-complete dust up the tank when/if you move your plants around? I understand some dust-up will happen, as it is unavoidable but I was reading that Aqua-soil was pretty dusty. I just dont want somthing that will dust up when a shrimp farts ya kno?

I really want to go with the Eco-Complete black after seeing a bag of it in person today. (I went window shopping for this friday lol!)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does the eco-complete dust up the tank when/if you move your plants around? I understand some dust-up will happen, as it is unavoidable but I was reading that Aqua-soil was pretty dusty. I just dont want somthing that will dust up when a shrimp farts ya kno?

I really want to go with the Eco-Complete black after seeing a bag of it in person today. (I went window shopping for this friday lol!)
Some dust with re-scaping, but it settles down pretty fast IME. I had significantly less dusting with Eco-Complete than with any of the ADA substrates.

Definitely won't have any dust storms if a shrimp farts. :hihi:

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
With EC you can just add the whole bag. Water and all. Green slime? Hmmm.... I don't know about that.... I have never seen that. My guess is that it would be some sort of algae. I don't know if I would knowingly put algae in my tank. Maybe someone else could help answer this?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yea I have never seen green slime in my EC bags either. Something is up for sure. I would inspect the bags before I buy them if your seeing green slime. Maybe get a bag off the bottom of the pile.

I would say EC is for a planted fish tank that you will be doing some plant swapping in and out of. ADA AS is more for an aqua scape, to where you have plants pre-planned and know you wont be messing around to much with them. But you can use either choice for either style tank obviously. You just have to deal with a bit more cloudiness is all. Up to the individual really.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like aquariumplants.com's gravel. The giant bucket comes in handy for water changes too. My swords have been growing nicely with that and their ferts so I'll give them a shout out.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I like aquariumplants.com's gravel. The giant bucket comes in handy for water changes too. My swords have been growing nicely with that and their ferts so I'll give them a shout out.
I remember reading that their substrate is another product relabeled. Turface maybe?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.