The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My search skills are lacking. I am new to this high tech Co2 yackety schmackety.

I just had a custom tank made. I'm planning on a heavily planted tank so that my cherry shrimp, ember tetras and celestial danios will be happy.

Stuff I have so far:

2 48" T5HO with 1x6500k and 1x12000k lamps
60"x8"x12" 24 gallon tank
MA957 Co2 regulator with 10lb Co2 tank
Lighting timer
100 watt heater
3 sponge filters with air pump
1 Fluval 4+ filter
2 bags Amazonia soil

Nothing is set up because I am still waiting for my tank to cure.

How do I set up my pressurized Co2? What else do I need besides the regulator/tank?

Sorry about the noob questions.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Welcome to TPT. I assume your regulator is already equipped with a needle valve? If so, you'll need CO2 tubing, a bubble counter (visually lets you see how many bubbles you're putting into your tank), and a method of diffusion. Most use ceramic diffusers, DIY PVC reactors, or powerheads. Easiest method would probably be a ceramic diffuser IMO, but it does waste more CO2 gas this way. Who really cares when you can refill anytime right?

A solenoid and timer will be needed if you want your CO2 system to be automated.

I suggest you join SFBAAPS. It's free. Lotta nice folks on there who are all from the bay area.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I'd only use one of those bulbs, that's such a small shallow footprint, you simply will not need that much light.

Will make a nice looking interesting tank though.
I'd try for a fast flowing stream layout.

CO2 should be fair easy if you use good flow from one end to the other.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted a lush bed of some sort of grass or ground cover so that my celestial pearl danios and cherry shrimp can breed. I have a fluval 4 plus filter that I am going to direct the flow from one end of the tank to another. Also have a bunch of sponge filters too. I'm not sure what is going to happen yet because I'm still waiting for the tank to cure.

I'd only use one of those bulbs, that's such a small shallow footprint, you simply will not need that much light.

Will make a nice looking interesting tank though.
I'd try for a fast flowing stream layout.

CO2 should be fair easy if you use good flow from one end to the other.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts