The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I posted a couple of days ago before introducing myself here- sorry!

I came across this forum when researching planted tanks, because my 16 year old daughter wanted to start her own tank. I was so impressed with the activity on this site that I joined right away!

I've had aquariums ranging from 100g oscar tanks, to a 29g reef I kept for several years, to my ponds. I've always had fish but for the last few years it's just been the ponds. Now that my daughter has set up her little tank, I have been bitten hard!

I'm very excited because I just found a 56g column with CFL lights, heaters, everything I need except the stand for a really good price on Craigslist! I'm just waiting to hear if it's still available, and I promised my husband I would not spend too much $ at a time on it, so I won't even be able to set it up for a month or so. But hopefully I'll have a nice big tank that will fit in our rather small living room! Yippee!

...the scary part is actually going to these Craigslist ads... you hear some pretty awful stories...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's the big pond:

Partially above ground- about 2000g main pond, a ~200g vortex prefilter overflowing to a ~200g mechanical filter, pumped up to a ~200g veggie filter (upper pond packed full of plants) and then that flows back over into the main pond.

Fish:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thats a nice looking pond. You need to post some more pictures in the pond subforum since that section doesn't get used much it's nice to see others with ponds post up pictures. I'm interested in seeing some pictures of the koi you have in there. I have kept koi for the last 15 years and love to see others that share that interest. Here is my thread for my water garden and hope to see more pictures of yours.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ponds/142756-ua-huas-water-garden.html

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you!

Serious pond, funny little tank, LOL!

Just after we set it up. We'll be going to the LFS tomorrow to get a bunch more plants and a hagen lifeglo bulb (they will be getting some in tomorrow).

Oh! And I did get that 56g after all! I'm so excited! But I promised hubby I wouldn't put a lot of money into it yet, so it sits in the garage until I can get around to building a stand for it. The only problem is that the lights were NOT cfl. Just a regular fluorescent hood. But after driving an hour to pick the thing up I didn't care. I have another hood the same size, so maybe I can double up on them, and have hubby wire in one of those overdrive ballasts on each one, or we can start over and just build a CFL or other type.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It is good to see another Rhode Islander on the forums! Welcome. I'm from Rumford originally, but am now in Tempe AZ for school.

There aren't too many great places to buy plants locally in RI anymore unfortunately. I'm not sure if you've been to the place in providence that is down the street from Brown, if so they're probably the best in RI at the moment that I know of.

-Andrew

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi! Yes, we've been making the trek to Aqua-life twice a week lately. I wish I had known of that store back when I had my reef tank! They have been so kind and helpful to my daughter. She loves George!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.