The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
This is my first night on the planted tank forum and I've already learned quite a bit. Got to give it up for the night now, though - information overload!
I've spent tonight looking up lighting because my light just didn't look right to me - too harsh. If the sunshine looks like that where I am (tropical Australia ) you don't go outside if you can possibly avoid it.
Anyway, I got busy reading the lighting stickies and realised my light looked too bright because it was. Thanks to Hoppy's chart and 4x4's par info - including the head's up that Hoppy's chart's tank depth is really about the distance the light is from the substrate, not the bottom of the tank, I've raised my 24"single tube Aquastar (actually a salt water light) T8 10000k so it's 16" from the substrate.
It's propped on snack size baked beans tins.:redface:
I DID remove the labels first.
The hood doesn't look pretty, but the light looks much prettier!
The tank's 40 litre (10 gal), less than a week old and currently has some westeria bunches, baby tears bunch, hair grass in a 1"mesh pot, an anubias on a piece of driftwood, a banana lilly bunch and a thin val.
The hair grass and the anubias look good and happy. The westeria looks OK. The others not so much - especially the the thin val which I planted under the HOB filter waterfall. I planted the baby tears in the vicinity of the water fall too. The lfs I bought the plants from had them in VERY low light.
I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all and will bombard everyone with questions.
Cheers!
:)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Welcome aboard. This is one of the best planted aquarium informational sites out there, hands down. Just keep doing what your doing (reading) and just try and do a simple search for your questions to see if you can find your answers (Prob asked already) and if you cant find anything, then fire away. The people here are great for the most part and always willing to help.

Welcome again and hope to be able to help you in the future.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Welcome aboard. The best recipe for success here is to ask lost of questions and do a lot of research, hopefully before you make any mistakes. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
G'day - Grouse to have another Cobber from Oz to ear bash. I'm not a Strine,
I played Rugby with a Banana bender, a real bonzer on the pitch, 1st one to shout in the pub. :hihi:
HooRoo mate!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts