The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone..im new to the board..i have kept mostly angels over the years but havent done so in a while due to being in school and moving..well, i have now decided that i would like to get back into but have a nice planted tank setup..i want to kinda recreate a natural south american enviroment and hopefully get some cory's , shrimp, and other fish..the tank that i will use is a long 30gal..what kind of plants and what kinda inhabitants should i be looking at??i've been doing some reading up on it but just wanted to get some experienced views..
thanks
chris

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Welcome to the obsession!

Just start reading really, like every topic in every section for however much time you have. My opinion that's the way to start out. If you want to read specific things search function is great it's on the top dark blue bar under the box that says Welcome, (insert name here)! You last visited... ... ...

I would look into what you want to keep. Shrimp and Angles are a BIG NO NO! But shrimp with corries and tetras are a so-so chance, but the bigger shrimp have a great chance of thriving. Might want to look at a smaller macro shrimp and corries and some tetras, maybe some angles after a while...

-Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, been reading more on the shrimp and saw that they prob wont do good with the angels..but then again..i'd prefer to setup a nice angel/discus tank when i can have room for a 200 or plus gallon tank..30gal would be a nice tetra, cory, shrimp tank perhaps..

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome to the board! In order to decide what type of plants you want, You need to know which plants grow well under certain watts of light. As to the inhabitants, It's a matter of what you would like. If you want cories and shrimp I suggest very docile fish. Keep in mind the water parameters that are ideal for each type of fish. Ex. you wouldn't want to put an extremely soft water fish with a hard water fish. If you plan on getting cories I suggest you get at least three if not more. They are very social with they're own kind. Some shrimp keepers would tell you not to put in any fish that could possibly eat baby shrimp.
I think I'll stop now before I end up making a super long post.
What type of lighting will you be using?
Here's a couple links that might help.
Plants.
Fish
One more on fish
Good luck with your tank. And a big HELLO to a new member!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, im thinking what 60 watts of light for a 30gal??i'd be ok if some baby shrimp died...i hope to give them enough places to hide with all the plants and such..are there any other websites that deal with shrimp..i think ive read every thread on them on the site...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Shrimp now is a great place for more information about shrimp. It's a forum too, filled with tons of information.

ShrimpNow !!! - Welcome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts