The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are things back here? I've finally come out of my slump, I've been out of the hospital for a while now and my life is settling back down. You'll be seeing a LOT more of me again as I am starting my tanks up again.

I lost my entire fish and plant stock, it was utterly wiped out (don't ask I don't want to talk about it). But I am starting up again.

My new project will be a 45 Gallon Shrimp/Planted tank. I have stripped equipment and supplies from the 135 Gallon, 90 Gallon, 20 Gallon and the 45 Gallon tanks to make this happen.

So Far the equipment list is as follows:
  • 45 Gallon Tank (48" x 12" x 18")
  • Fluval 404 Canister Filter (salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • AquaMedic Reactor 1000 CO2 Reactor (salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • 20lb CO2 Tank (salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • JBJ All-in-one Regulator/Bubblecounter/Needle Valve (salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • Coralife 18 Watt UV Sterilizer (salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • 4 x 55 Watt GE Plant and Aquarium Compact Flouresdcent bulbs (salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • 1 Workhorse 5 Ballast (Salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • 1 Workhorse 7 Ballast (Salvaged from 135 Gallon)
  • Flourite Substrate (salvaged from 20 Gallon and some new stuff)
  • Various heaters from tanks

Now I'm working on thoughts for the hardscape. I have over 150lbs of slate to work with, piles of african mopani, river rocks, etc... But I think I might have to cave and buy some new wood.. if I even go with a hardscape at all.

I'm thinking with this much light and CO2 I might be able to pull off the moss carpet I was experimenting with last year. The idea being that a "moss heavy" tank might be an ideal breeding ground for shrimp.

I am hoping to house and breed more then one species of shrimp with this setup and would really like to hear some responses.

Been a while, but its good to be back.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
welcome back...this sounds like a great project...that is a lot of light you're planning on pumping in there! Let us know how the project progresses.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Glad you're back and everything is ok.:) Your fellow mods will be shock to see you back.:icon_mrgr
I'd love to see your project.:)

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Welcome back dude. Looking forward to seeing how this new project comes together, we expect lots of pictures around here you know.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Glad to see you back, was always a fan of your stuff. I had been checking on your website to see how you were doing, but it's down....another thing to get back and running again :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Glad you're coming back! Sounds like a nice tank you are planning.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome back...this sounds like a great project...that is a lot of light you're planning on pumping in there! Let us know how the project progresses.
I know its a lot of light, but thats what I was experimenting with previously. I managed to get Java Moss to grow in a matt so to speak, under high light. It was really neat, it grew about 3/4" of an inch thick and could be wrapped around wood etc.

My goal is to cover the substrate of the tank entirely in a moss mat with decorative mats placed on the top sides of the wood/stone I put in this tank. Should be more hten enough vegetation for shrimp to nibble on and hide in.

I found my tanks before I was going to overzealous with plant types and everything I did just looked crowded, so this time around I am attempting a simplified approach, more of the same kind of plant with a few others simply to break it up.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
welcome back Gareth...
I also had Java moss under high light...metals....it grew flat. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great to see you back Gareth. Looking forward to more of your Mopani-work. :)
Hehe.. I am nopt sure if I am going to use my mopani for this tank... or If I am going to go for something more exotic... Its a tough call.. I have a LOT of really choice pieces of mopani, but I don't know if thats the look I am going for in this tank. We'll see....

Either way, this should be an interesting project

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Either way, this should be an interesting project
Welcome back!

It sure sounds like it's going to be an interesting project. Java moss should grow CRAZY with all that light and co2!

Shrimp wise maybe do something a bit different? Like snowballs and the new blue tigers or something?

-Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts