The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Since you’re prob more experienced than I am in the hobby maybe you can help me. I have a small school of harlequin rasboras and two of them have a white thing on the top of their fins. Is that fin rot? Or something else ? And if you’re familiar with this issue. How can I treat it ? Please see photos below. And I just realized this is a forum for planted tanks. Any suggestions on just fresh water fish forums ? Thank you!
Water Natural environment Plant Organism Terrestrial plant

Vertebrate Plant Underwater Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Can you tell whether the white spot is fuzzy or cottony or does it just look like color?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It may be saprolegnia which is a fungus but hopefully some other members will comment and verify.

Meanwhile, if you test your aquarium water, please post the test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

How long has your aquarium been set up, how often do you change the water and how much water do you change at one time?

Are these fish new to the aquarium or if not, how long have you had them? Have you added any new fish recently?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The bettas could be nipping the rasbora's fins.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be saprolegnia which is a fungus but hopefully some other members will comment and verify.

Meanwhile, if you test your aquarium water, please post the test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

How long has your aquarium been set up, how often do you change the water and how much water do you change at one time?

Are these fish new to the aquarium or if not, how long have you had them? Have you added any new fish recently?
Hey! Thank you!
I’ll test now and send over the results.
It’s a nano5 gallon tank. Been setup for about 3 months. First month with just a female betta and I added the 5 rasboras prob a month and a half ago. Added two more two weeks ago and One died last week. Betta doesn’t mind them at all. She’s more interested in exploring the tank. Rasboras do school most of the time and once in a while they chase each other a bit. I change the water prob every 10 days. Two 20% and one 50%water changes a month.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite and nitrate - 0
PH - 7.5
KH - 80
GH - 180

🍻

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks for the test results! Seems odd that you have zero nitrate reading, usually there is at least something above zero. Are you using test strips or the liquid reagent kit?

Well either the recent fish have something or as suggested by @Mr. Limpet, something is nipping the fins and causing the fuzzy fins.

Any chance you can post a full tank pic?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plant Green Rectangle Liquid Art

I only have the steps. I’ll test again to double check nitrates. To be honest I think those guys are nipping one another. Could a snail have brought the disease?

Thanks guys !

Sorry. Strips

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nice looking tank!

I wouldn't think the snail could bring in what you are seeing on the fish but whatever it is should need treatment. I'm not good at identifying or treating these types of things so sorry in advance.

If it is saprolegnia, a closer look at one of the fish with a magnifying glass may be helpful. A quick online search shows that saprolegnia has hair like protrusions and that will help determine what medication or treatment you will need to do going forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking tank!

I wouldn't think the snail could bring in what you are seeing on the fish but whatever it is should need treatment. I'm not good at identifying or treating these types of things so sorry in advance.

If it is saprolegnia, a closer look at one of the fish with a magnifying glass may be helpful. A quick online search shows that saprolegnia has hair like protrusions and that will help determine what medication or treatment you will need to do going forward.

Thank you so much for the response! I'll do a little more research on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts