The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my name is Mikee and I'm glad to say I've finally joined the community! I've always gone to plantedtank.net for info and tips when I started this hobby a couple years back, so when looking to set up my new tank, I thought I'd just join. No harm, right? Anyways, I'm glad to be apart of the community and I hope to bug all of you soon with questions and comments! :)

This is my latest project. An 8 gal. nano tank. Will be updating weekly with photos of growth until it turns out how I want/stocked with life.

Substrate: Mr. Aqua
Filter: Aquaclear 20
Heater: Some off brand coil heater on ebay that has served me well.
lighting: WavePoint 12" HO LED
Co2: Up-Aqua Pressurized
Deco: 5lbs of Seiryu Rock/ Staurogyne Repens / HC

Haven't decided if it will be a shrimp tank or Betta Sanctuary. My LFS has beautiful HMPK's, as well as a few Macrostoma, but I doubt this will be big enough for the Macrostoma. .. *One day :crying:*

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice tank mate.

My suggestion is that you lower you diffuser so the mirco bubbles have more contact time with the water.

Also, be sure to keep the water level up. With a HOB the water crashes down and that will gas off the co2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the community Mike!

Check out this thread about using the AquaClear HOB as a diffuser. Looks like you currently might be losing quite a bit of co2 without better diffusion.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/821665-best-co2-diffuser-hobs.html

Thank you! Will definitely check it out. Did not know I would be losing that much co2!

Bump:
Nice tank mate.

My suggestion is that you lower you diffuser so the mirco bubbles have more contact time with the water.

Also, be sure to keep the water level up. With a HOB the water crashes down and that will gas off the co2.
thanks! I've noticed a lot of diffusers towards the bottom so I will definitely do that. Appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah, pretty much any bubbles you see breaching the surface of the water is esentially wasted co2. Micro bubbles tend to stay within the water column (not big enough to break the water surface), but still slowly dissolved. And the more surface agitation (more so where the water surface has breaks/splashing in it, ripples are okay) you have, the more co2 is able to get past the water surface and off gas into the atmosphere.

There are various diffusers (some working better than others) that keep the co2/bubbles within the water for longer periods of time to give it more time to dissolve into the water.
So like Dantrasy mentioned, if you mounted your co2 line further down into the aquarium, it allows more time for the bubbles being released to have more contact time with the water to dissolve.
And as Dantrasy mentioned, raising the water level to be more even with the outlet of the HOB filter, the less splashing occurs and so less co2 off gassing/wasting.

Can't really recommend which diffusers are better as I haven't used any for nano/small tanks, but from the sounds of it, the HOB might do the best job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So I check out the thread and got a lot of cool information! Did a quick adjustment to my co2 line and ended up with this. Definitely have a few perks so far:

1. Chirp noise is definitely down. Pretty much unnoticeable.
2. Water level is up so that the outflow doesn't really produce o2, so from the bubbles I see, I'm assuming its the co2 and it definitely looks more dissolved. Better circulation as well.

Gonna wait and see how the plants turn out. I have 15g on the other side with the setup from my first set of photos and my giant tears , HC, and crypts produce quite a bit of o2. Will compare the HC and see what produces more.

Thanks again for the tips, and will keep you updated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, pretty much any bubbles you see breaching the surface of the water is esentially wasted co2. Micro bubbles tend to stay within the water column (not big enough to break the water surface), but still slowly dissolved. And the more surface agitation (more so where the water surface has breaks/splashing in it, ripples are okay) you have, the more co2 is able to get past the water surface and off gas into the atmosphere.

There are various diffusers (some working better than others) that keep the co2/bubbles within the water for longer periods of time to give it more time to dissolve into the water.
So like Dantrasy mentioned, if you mounted your co2 line further down into the aquarium, it allows more time for the bubbles being released to have more contact time with the water to dissolve.
And as Dantrasy mentioned, raising the water level to be more even with the outlet of the HOB filter, the less splashing occurs and so less co2 off gassing/wasting.

Can't really recommend which diffusers are better as I haven't used any for nano/small tanks, but from the sounds of it, the HOB might do the best job.
Yeah, other people were recommending inserting the co2 line directly into the intake, especially for AC filters. Tried it, and have a few positive results so far. Just posted a photo of it above. Definitely less of an eyesore with the blue line so long as you dont crouch down and stare directly in front of the tank..but I think its safe to assume we all do that lol. Did not know about the information you just provided, so I definitely appreciate it. I'm pretty new to co2, have always done low-tech tanks or a little high-tech with liquid co2 and ferts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts