The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it’s the dreaded hex planted tank,but right now I have decent lighting on it but it overhangs 4 inches each side and is dual t5,I still don’t think it has the penetration I need for co2 injection,starting to see some brown algae and past threads seem pretty dated or can’t get a defined answer,doing medium-high light plants and am looking at led with penetration of at least 20 inches with a budget of NO MORE than 180$ Maybe 200 if absolutely needed but still need to upgrade co2,any input is appreciated!!(ps 150$ and under would be great,like the kessil a80 tuna sun)and yes I keep up on my floating plants but still doesn’t seem enough

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I know it’s the dreaded hex planted tank,but right now I have decent lighting on it but it overhangs 4 inches each side and is dual t5,I still don’t think it has the penetration I need for co2 injection,starting to see some brown algae and past threads seem pretty dated or can’t get a defined answer,doing medium-high light plants and am looking at led with penetration of at least 20 inches with a budget of NO MORE than 180$ Maybe 200 if absolutely needed but still need to upgrade co2,any input is appreciated!!(ps 150$ and under would be great,like the kessil a80 tuna sun)and yes I keep up on my floating plants but still doesn’t seem enough
Tank dimensions please

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tank dimensions please
It’s about 16 inches all the way from point to point and it’s 24 inches tall but with substrate about 20 inches

It’s about a month or so approaching 2 I believe,really wanting to have my top it came with back wich allready has 2 led strips was thinking of getting some blue/white,red/white strips then just add them for the spectrum and more light,but that ceiling light would fit inside it too,does that work pretty well and is pretty bright?

·
Registered
484 Posts
That light is a generic light not specific to emphasize high PARR in planted aquariums BUT it always makes the plants our 35g hex pearl and we always have great growth as well as healthy plants. It is a very bright light. 48 watts of LEDs is a LOT of light for a tank the size of yours.

You can pay a lot more for a light tailored to planted tanks but I have found that one very satisfactory for my purposes. I went that route due to the lack of lights designed for planted hex aquariums.

P.S. We do not keep floating plants in our aquariums which will have considerable affect on how much light reaches the gravel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That light is a generic light not specific to emphasize high PARR in planted aquariums BUT it always makes the plants our 35g hex pearl and we always have great growth as well as healthy plants. It is a very bright light. 48 watts of LEDs is a LOT of light for a tank the size of yours.

You can pay a lot more for a light tailored to planted tanks but I have found that one very satisfactory for my purposes. I went that route due to the lack of lights designed for planted hex aquariums.

P.S. We do not keep floating plants in our aquariums which will have considerable affect on how much light reaches the gravel.
Yeah I have floating plants may get rid of them,honestly they should make more because if they had proper equipment without diy half of it I think hex tanks look really cool,imo if we had the space for it I would without a doubt have a long tank but it’s nice and neat in a corner rn,definitly will look into it..thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I really like the looks of hex tanks too! The format does limit the type and size of fish that can be kept comfortably. But if you work within its limits they are cool tanks. We kept a lot of guppies and some tetras in our hex tank. We just moved them to our new 180g this past week and added a lot more tetras as well as some angels and Gouramis.

There is nothing wrong with floating plants and I was not trying to dissuade you from keeping floating plants. I just don't have experience keeping floating plants and working around lighting issues so I don't have any advise to offer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like the looks of hex tanks too! The format does limit the type and size of fish that can be kept comfortably. But if you work within its limits they are cool tanks. We kept a lot of guppies and some tetras in our hex tank. We just moved them to our new 180g this past week and added a lot more tetras as well as some angels and Gouramis.

There is nothing wrong with floating plants and I was not trying to dissuade you from keeping floating plants. I just don't have experience keeping floating plants and working around lighting issues so I don't have any advise to offer.
I get that! Right now I just have 6 neon tetras,4 balloon platys,1 cobalt gourami and a few essential cleaners,it looks really great and the gourami adds so much character to it,but 100% tottaly a limiting tank,can’t wait to get a new house😕and yeah I may keep like water lettuce but the duckweed omg that stuff goes crazy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.