The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intreiged with these lil guys and I've heard that they can do well in small tanks. I've got shrimp in both tanks, but I'm not particularly worried about the shrimp in the 2.5 (cull tank), and I've heard they can do well with shrimp. Anyone who has had these have any input? How many could be comfortable in a 5? A 2.5?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I'll share my experience with these guys. Personally I love em. In smaller tanks the females have been known to nip at shrimp and I suspect the occasional fry would be gobbled up. I have about a dozen mixed sex h.formosa's living in my 20g along with crs and neos... Likely 50-60 of each. There is also a dozen pygmae cories and a dozen sparrow rasboras. I get away with overpopulation and peaceful cohabitation by planting densely. Densely is defined by not being able to see the opposite side of the tank from any angle. There is a forest of javafern, bolbitus, various mosses and crypts all vying for light.

Your find that h formosa's do not school or shoal but have a certain grace in themselves. They sort of hover and navigate as a blimp would in the sky.

They also seem to be prolific breeders so start off with a few. I hope you have a change to raise these guys. They are an interesting species to keep

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Start off with a few of each sex, maybe only one female.

I will say I've got mine in a 2 gal long tank, and they fit nice. You've got to have decent parameters for them though.

Ive never once seen a snap at a shrimp, in fact I see them work together often. But I notice the alpha females nip at other females tails.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking just a single pair or trio in the 2.5, maybe a group of 4 in the 5. Would that be a good starting population? Are there any other things I need to keep in mind?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.