The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion, without specifics of wattage/PAR/color temps etc, do you think it would be more beneficial to run lower intensity lights for a longer period of time, or more intense lights for a shorter period of time. Opinions and arguments gladly accepted.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Without specifics, without quantification, I think that would be exactly the same. More light for shorter period = less light for longer period. Without specifics, there isn't a good answer here. Even if you would throw in some wattages, it would be hard to say, since it depends on so many other things.

If you take out the photoperiod and focus on wattage, then my opinion would be to get less bulbs with higher wattage. For example, I think one T5 HO 54W bulb will get the tank better lit than two T5NO 28W. Higher intensity, at the cost of less even distribution. The NO bulbs are actually more efficient if you look at the lumens/watt, still, I think 2xNO<1xHO.

If you are about to decide between two options, I'd go with the higher intensity...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wasser. As complete of an answer as I could hope to get with the lacking information I provided.

aside: need anything from SD? I'm heading up there in about 1.5hrs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts