The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I plant potted HC that I get from the LFS, I don't bother with the wool and all that... I just snip single stems from the top growth and use long planting tweezers to insert the single sprigs into the substrate about 1.5 inches from each other.
So I understand, you plant just the snipped stem, it would have no roots at the start?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
So I understand, you plant just the snipped stem, it would have no roots at the start?
Correct: The planted single stem has no roots... It will form them in time. But sometimes, as I separate the HC from the wool, I try to keep some roots in tact, but it's not necessary. Glosso can be planted in this way as well.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I found a tropica video where this guy took the HC out of its basket, then split the plant in half, then cut off the bottom inch & ½ of wool, then cut the plant into ½ inch squares and planted those with tweezers. I did something similar with my HC, but I tried brushing the wool out of the roots with a tooth brush and it seemed to work well. I then took larger portions and planted those, and used some steel mesh to hold the loose bits down...see pic

Its only been two days, but hopefully it'll take.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Actually, the easiest way I found is also rather simple.

Plant HC in small patches, but use a toothpick inserted at an angle through the HC & into the substrate.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
exactly.
I works remarkably well.

of course if you have really coarse gravel it wont...

·
Registered
299 Posts
is it possible to grow HC in course gravel? I use flourite black and i'm having a hard time keeping that stuff in the gravel. i see little pieces of it floating.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i have HC in regular flourite which isnt any different than black besides the color and what i did was tossed a little bit of gravel on top like i did with glosso

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Maybe it's too early to tell but my HC project is looking shaky. I planted small sections <1" using toothpicks inserted diagonally into the gravel almost two weeks ago. One or two clumps have always been unstable, ie found floating in the morning, but one of the stable ones was trapped in some hairgrass this morning.

Lighting is still low pending the new light, but I've been using pressurized CO2 for a week now. Substrate is standard inert LFS gravel; there's no finer grade available locally.

Oh, almost forgot to mention the three mystery snails. They've been a big help keeping the HC in place. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

ETA: HC failed to root and didn't survive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I want a throw this question out there. I have been ready here and read Jeremy's
thread on lighting for hc. Would a T5ho lighting fixture be to much light for hc in a
40 gallon tank with soil?

·
&#4326; Miss ShrimpTastic! &#2960;...
2,606 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
To people that are just now starting this plant. Don't give up I almost did. Here are before and after.

First planted.

Some growth but more die off

Then it grew like a weed. In my 10gal

I have Moved it to another tank in chunks and it is still growing and doing well.

I have DIY co2. I add excel every now and then when co2 is getting low. I add iron, nitrogen, and flourish. I have plant substrate and on the 10gal 2x20 CF lights. Oh yeah are always trim it. If kept short it well spread out not up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys "and girls", I have a 35litre tank. the substrate consists of JBL aquasoil with under gravel heater under it, i have fertilizer balls broken down between and JBL manado ontop. I have have planted some HC in my tank, by putting pieces around the tank about an inch or so apart. The tank lighting is a 18W T5 conpact Plant pro light from arcadia which is designed for the 45 litre version of my tank I wanted to know how long I should be look at before I get patches of the HC over the base of the tank.

Any help is welcome guys
I'll try and put a current picture up asap

21 - 40 of 40 Posts