The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continued from Growing emmersed HC March 29 added pics. by: sfcallen

It doesn't need for you to keep the humidity high (likes Cryptocoryne or Anubias culture) when you try to emersed HC. Just don't grow them in direct sunlight and they'll do fine. The planting media that I used is normal garden soil or paddies soil media (Indonesian: "Lumpur sawah"). If you use the garden soil, keep it wet until become muddy, and just plant the HC.

200x40(cm) emersed HC setup

8 (20 x 30 (cm)) emersed HC trays

Their inflorescences

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Those HC were all sold out. :tongue: So, this is my new culture setup. I think I'll post it here to see it's progress from time to time. :smile:

week 1 you can see the media here. :D

week 3 they are start to grow more densely. It's very easy plant to culture under emersed condition. Here in Bandung, Indonesia, the air temperature is about 24 - 28C and the humidity is about 65 - 90%.

I started this culture from just a small clump size from my friend a long time ago it was about 3cm in diameter. Very small and very expensive too. :icon_sad: and bought some more about 20 x 10 cm from LFS in Bandung to fasten up the culture. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think your methods would be innefective in an area like southern California. The hummidity here can be very low. I live close enough to the ocean to get a a nice breaze but Its essentially a desert here. It stays pretty warm year round though.

I would consider yourself lucky to live in a region that supports this kind of plant growth. I am only saying this so some poor chap in Socal or New mexico doesn't try your method and lose all of their HC.

Can't argue with the results you have though. I managed to expand a small clump of 5 stems into about 1/2 of one of those trays and that was slow and certianly not effective compared to your results.

I also have annoying neigbor cats that would probably drink any water out of it or think its their litter box...:)

BTW how long ago where these pictures taken they look familiar I think I saw these posted somewhere before. They where one of the reasons I started my emersed setup...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think your methods would be innefective in an area like southern California. The hummidity here can be very low. I live close enough to the ocean to get a a nice breaze but Its essentially a desert here. It stays pretty warm year round though.
...and it might be a bit too hot and dry at Jakarta as well (even though Jakarta is only 1,5-2 hours of driving from Bandung.

Culturing it within an eclosure (eg : greenhouse) equipped with misting system would be the answer, but it would require some serious tinkering to make one. A simpler miniature version would be a vivarium, complete with light strips and small capacity misting system, automated to spray every now and then.

Jef, I think those plants will take over in time just like usual! (provided that you did not skip those maintenance routines).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hmmmm. Sounds perfect for me though ;). Not in the fall/winter of course, but I could get 6-8 months growth I think. Daytime temps in that period is in the 80's/90's, Nighttime lows in the lower 70's. Humidity is usually 80% or better. In the early spring and the fall the humidity will drop fairly low, in the 30-40% range. Plus we get (or we're supposed to, it's been a dry month) almost 60 inches of rain a year. You've heard how Washington and Oregon are supposed to be so rainy? We actually get about 30% more rain than they do!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Places in Alabama, Mississippi, Lousianna, and South Texas should be able to grow HC emersed in a similar fashion as the pics. Would need a screening to keep the direct sunlight from burning them up. Insects and other pest might be a concern.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I think your methods would be innefective in an area like southern California.
Au contrair.......

It grows just fine here in the Central valley in CA emergent.
Keep the soil wet and you'll have little issue.
Grows fine on my filter sponges as well.
Jim grows it like mad emergent.
Very easy to grow this way.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Wow, thanks a ton, that will come in handy when i get my greenhouse plant farm going.

just for kicks(and to see a possible argument) do you guys think it would grow good here in san antonio?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have tried it before outside. It worked fine if it was covered and in a not so sunny spot.

Tom are you saying it will grow with out a cover in the dry Socal climate? I was under the impression that it requires a humid environment not just wet soil to survive. I have some to spare so I might try it out later. It was 95, windy and dry here a few days ago I can't imagine many aquatic plants tolerating that well.

Of course I haven't tried it yet so I have no idea if you are right I will probably stick with covers for now though. Works well enough for me.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.