The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I made a big mistake of not quarantining my new hatchet fish and they now have ich no big deal caught it early so I figured I'd raise heat a little and treat with ich attack. Well i raised the heat late last night but guess I was to tired to see to what my tank is now 89 degrees the ich is gone overnight but I'm afraid of what can happen. Should I turn heater completely off and do a water change with slightly cooler water.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Reset the heater down where you wanted to set it but remember when raising the temp to add O2 also. Even though you don't see any symtoms of ick doesn't mean its all gone, give it a few days of treatment before quiting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
89 degrees for a short period of time should be fine for the fish - there in no immediate danger if the water is well oxygenated.

Look closely - I imagine its harder to tell if a hatchet is lacking air as they are always at the water's surface anyway.

ALWAYS treat Ich for a bit after you don't see any signs of it. Give it 48 hours - the high heat should either outright kill it or make its life cycle extremely fast, so it should dissipate fairly quickly.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Did a quick search on hatchets and upper range on two sites was posted as 82F so the temp is not going to do them in. Good luck going foward.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You need to complete the treatment as recommended on the medication's instructions. Ich have several forms in their life cycle, and only one form is actually visible to the human eye. Stop treatment too soon and you not only risk the ich coming back, but may even have encouraged the development of a strain that is resistant to the treatment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok awesome I have hatchets, neon tetras, cory cats, male betta, 2 females, (I know not suppose to have them together but my tank is like a forest and they've been great) and bushymouth pleco. Any on that list we see potential issue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so I've brought the temp to about 87 and have been that way since Tuesday dosing ich attack as directed. Removed carbon and cut feedings to every other day. I've lost two hatchets so far the small signs of it on my neons has dissipated. Everyone seems fine and water parameters are good. I hope this will be over this week.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok everyone treatment is still on going and almost all signs of ich are completely gone with only two loses. Water parameters are surprising good with the exclusion of my ph which is a little high at 7.5. But I've now had a massive bloom of diatom algae on my Cryptocoryne spiralis only not on any other plants or equipment. Any thoughts on what I can do to reduce it. Is it possible that since I stopped dosing excel that this caused the bloom?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok it just keeps getting better. I didnt mention it earlier but when the ich broke out and I started medicating I found a couple of snails and killed them. A few more showed up but I got them now I have a massive out break their all over the tank what do I do now. Clown Loache?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
One thing at a time.

You definitely don't want to add any more fish with an ich infestation going on, and especially not sensitive fish like loaches. Clown loaches would outgrow your tank anyways. Assassin snails might be a good option for you down the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.