The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully someone can answer this for me. long and short i have a diy co2 (pop bottle) which was tipped over by my cat. about half the contents was pumped into my tank. last night when i noticed it, the water was a bit cloudy. i did a 50% water change, when i got up this morning it was as if someone had dumped 5 gal of milk into the tank. cant see the fish unless they are at the front glass. i did another 50% at lunch. water parameters are all fine. ?????

a side note, i keep discus, and at this point there are no signs of stress at all. ie breathing heavy, color changes etc.

so what do i do? how can i clear the water?. do i need to move the fish? i have never had anything like this happen, any input would be helpful.

thanks in advance.

B

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yeah it won't really hurt the tank, but as you can see it gets pretty messy. Your best bet is to run purigen (or some type of micron filter should work) in your canister and clean it up that way. Too many water changes are obviously going to be bad for your discus. The yeast is just going to be live food for some small fish or other critters, so that part is beneficial. But yeah, the rest of it is a mess.

It's never happened to me before, so I can't help with personal experience, but I can say that this thread has been asked before, so you'll probably find something helpful in the search engine.

Just know that it's not a disaster or anything. It's just a yucky mess.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
I would continue doing water changes. There is no risk of having "too many" water changes, and in no way would it harm the discus, provided that the temperature of the water is the same as in the tank, and that a dechlorinator was used.

People have had disasters with yeast getting pumped into their tanks before (i.e. dead fish); as a result, I would suggest you keep up with those water changes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's the thing with discus, im used to water changes :) all i need is to increase the % of water each time. which they will love.
side note... i changed the water at noon or so, rinsed the filters, media, sponges. it looked better, now that i got home, i can't see in again. also i installed a trap, guess i forgot about this small component.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.