The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New to this site and to planted tanks in general. Right now my set up is 4-T5 high output 24w 6700k bulbs on a 30g tank. I'm injecting co2 using the fluval 88 system. My substrate is flourite and I'm trying to grow a carpet of dwarf baby tears. My problem is that the tears don't seem to be growing really. They look healthy but not carpeting at all. Tank has been up for a couple weeks. Someone mentioned that I need to add ferts and I'm getting nervous. The guy at my lfs recommended I stay away from ferts cause I'm new and will destroy everything in my tank but he also told me I don't need co2 for the tears which I've read is wrong. So I guess my question is do I need to add ferts? If so, which brand is good. I've only seen the seachem ones I believe. I think they were iron, phosphorus, and others.

Hope someone can give me some tips cause I'm getting kind of frustrated at the moment lol

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Are there fish or shrimp in the tank? Fish or shrimp food contains some of the nutrients that plants need, but not usually in enough quantity to work when you are doing a high light + CO2 tank.
Fish food supplies N, P and most traces.
If your NO3 test is showing between 5-20 ppm, then you can assume the other nutrients from fish food are helping out.
Fish food does not supply much K, Fe or Ca.
Tap water can supply the Ca, Mg and some traces. If the GH is about 3 degrees or higher, then I would not worry about these.
That leaves K and Fe.
If you want to get started with fertilizer, these are the nutrients that plants use the most of but may not be supplied when you feed the critters.
-------------------------------------------------------

If you have no animals in the tank, so are not adding any foods, then there is no source of essential elements that plants need. I would sure add fertilizers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have about 15 neons and a few guppies. I'm not sure about those tests? I guess I might need to buy a test kit.

I bought the seachem comprehensive and api leaf zone that someone in another forum suggested so maybe that might help things

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Leaf Zone is K and Fe. This is the one I started with when I was shifting away from the lowest tech system (buy more Anacharis when the fish eat the first batch).
Comprehensive is mostly trace minerals.
Yes, use them together, or dose on alternate days is fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts