The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something weird going on. Anyone that has ever use algae destroyer in a planted tank will understand this.
I changed my out flow hose but the only hose I could find that fit was heater hose. This should be fine but who knows. After I changed the hose I noticed all those little white squiggly worms started floating around like when you use Algae destroyer. (I learned not to use that a long time ago) Also one of my otos died and one of my shrimp too. then I noticed one of my apistos at the surface and then my discus at the surface. I did a huge water change and still they are all breathing heavy. and one of my discus is resting on a plant.
Nitrites and ammonia are 0 ph is reading low 6.0 thats the lowest it reads.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually black rubber hose used for water heaters. I got it at home depot. And yes, it is still on

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also fixed a filter piece with hot glue from a hot glue gun, and water does pass over it. That was just a thought though, it is very minimal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One fish died, It was after that yes. I was also thinking, I might have had some grease under my finger nails, But I did a huge water change and then the fish were still stressed. Have you ever used algae destroyer in a planted tank? All the little worms started floating around and one of the shrimp died. I remember when I used that stuff I killed all my shrimp and most of my algae eating fish and those worms came out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If they are still dying I think you should go to home depot and get one of those water filter hook it up to your line and do a water change. It helps with mine because in my area the water has a high ph. I bought that and havent had any fishes dying.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The ones that filter out the tap water so you can drink it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They have high tech reverse osmosis filters and regular old charcoal filter. I have three tanks all of which are perfect. I don't think its the water. My tap water is ph7.2 kh1.5 I inject co2 so the ph of my tank is 6.4. I'm not sure why the ph was so low or if thats all that is causing this problem. I started acclimating the two baby discus into my other tank but I can put all the discus in there or most of the other fish are impossible to catch.
The fish are just breathing really heavy now. Clown loaches swimming near the top and a bunch of the otos are stuck to the glass in the current.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey I have a similar experience like that once. I turn the CO2 on to high before going to school. Luckily my brother was home and turn it down. All of the fish were going to the surface gulping for air and some stay at the bottom. We put in a whole bunch of air stones to increase the oxygen. Luckily only 2 fish died. I dont know if that's what going on in your tank.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been injecting CO2 for months. When i was working on the filter, the CO2 was running with no Circulation, that might be the problem?? But could that drop the ph that much in the matter of 1/2 hour?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The CO2 is linked to 3 tanks, and it's the third in the string and no other's were affected. It was also just filled and the co2 is off and the lights are off now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You missed the point. I didn't use algae destroyer but some of the same stuff that happens when you do use algae destroyer happened tonight. The little white worms the algae eating fish dies(otto cat) and a shrimp died.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts