The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dosed one of my shrimp tanks with greg watson dry ferts 2 days ago. All the shrimp were swimming like mad for 2 days. Now I have dead shrimp in tank. Never happens like that in my tank,so it must be the ferts. What can I do to save my shrimp in this tank.

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok shrimp are coming out of plants in the hundreds. They are mass dropping shrimplets. I have little specks all over the place. Maybe the fert caused this in some way? In any event I have way too many shrimp now. Losing 3 shrimp is not that bad I guess. I just NEVER see dead shrimp in my tank and panic set in. I am hoping if I do 20% for 7 days I will be ok. Any thoughts would be welcome on this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm thinking in some sort of miracle, 3 shrimp died but now he has hundreds of shrimplets in the tank. In less than an hour. Amazing lol.

Or were there tons of baby shrimp in there already? And you said that they came out from the plants? Well that is good to hear.

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I really can't complain too much. I had alot of hold females before dosing ferts. Shrimplets are alive and everywhere. I never dosed before so I don't know what to expect. Grand total loss was 4 HUGE shrimp,so I am not going to fert in that tank again EVER. Those shrimp were with me for a LONG time. ;-(

·
Registered
200 Posts
o_O oh my goodness. I hope everyone does well...what sort of shrimps did you almost off?

I am probably the only one on this whole place who does not fert any of my tanks. aquatic salamanders and shrimps probably would not appreciate that situation.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well shrimp eventually die. Many times you may never see the dead bodies because the other shrimp eat it.

I dose GW ferts (KNO3 and KH2PO4) with no problems at all. I let my shrimps get used to it first though. I dosed 1/2 of what is needed for my tank for the first week. During the second week of dosing, I went ahead with the reccommend amounts. No problems at all. (EI method)

How much were you dosing for what size tank?

·
Banned
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
o_O oh my goodness. I hope everyone does well...what sort of shrimps did you almost off?

I am probably the only one on this whole place who does not fert any of my tanks. aquatic salamanders and shrimps probably would not appreciate that situation.
I almost KILLED off my brown shrimp:icon_eek: :icon_sad:
I will NOT fert again in any of my tanks. TOO much can die too fast. Now I am W.C.ing my a$$ off:icon_roll

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.