The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted another forum but didn't get much help on it cause I think the title didn't specifying needed help. I have a ten gallon tank running in my room right now thinking about doing a naturally planted tank , low tech ( no co2 or liquid ferts maybe dosing with liquid carbon like Flouris ecell) just trying to get some help.

The pic is what I want my tank to look like when done. The plants on far right and far left corners is Moneywort, the one in middle directly behind the zebra rocks is java fern and the one middle of rocks is obviously red ludwiggia and forground plant is dwarf sag

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
And the problem is? ....

Just superimpose the second picture over the first one and you are done :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just need some direction. I know what I wanna do, but I don't know exactly how to do it. So what should my steps be? Like starting with lighting I have 2 General Electric 13 watt ( 60 watt incandescent replacement bulbs) 6500k bulbs(pic below)? Is that considered high light or low light or what ? Soil what do I use? I have been looking at this at Home-Depot (pic below)? Fertilizer what will be necessary just the Sea-Chem Flourish Excel? Plants are those plants okay for this type of tank, lighting, and treatment? Filtration I am planning on running a Aquaclear50 (250gph) on it with no carbon packs (as it strips organic carbon out) is this okay or to much? Heating I have a Tetra 5-15g heater, it keeps water at a pretty consistant 75. Is this okay? Livestock, I want to keep A pair of Bollivian Rams or German Blue Rams, 6 Panda Corys, 1 Bristle Nose Pleco, and a few Crystal Red Shrimp. Would these be okay together, and with the plants? I have a bunch more questions but these are the pressing ones at the moment.

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Fish-wise: too many for a 10g; for German Blue Rams you would want a tank that has been up and running for 6 months+; either type of rams will eat the shrimp; panda cories are way cute but they would also need a mature, stable tank. I'd recommend you decide what is more important: shrimp or fish and go from there.

The heater is just fine (I use 2 of the same ones in 2 diff tanks).

The lights seem to be on the low side (also depends how high over the tank they will be) but the 4 plants you have listed should be ok.

I would not use the soil in your picture - just stick with the sand you have now (maybe add a tad more to have 1.5 - 2" of depth) and just use Excel and LeafZone.

My $0.02

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Your tank is too small for a BN pleco in my opinion. And just know that dwarf sag will put out runners and eventually fill in anywhee it can. It's not the type of plant that is happy to stay in one place.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
+1 on shrimp tank
As far as that soil goes, read other threads by Jim_PA - he does not seem to be that happy atm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i also watch alot of dustinsfish tanks and this is what he does i really dont want to have to buy expensive fertilizers im on a serious budget that is split between my 29 community tank and 10 gallon that im trying to find a plan for

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunatly i have decided to scrap the hole planted idea i cant get any good consistent help any where on what i should do but thanks to all that have tried i think im just going to do a simple rock tank with some shrimp got any where in a planted forum for a idea like that lol??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why not just do it? If it doesnt work, no biggie, try something else. There are a million and one ways really do to a planted tank.

I am lazy with my tanks, no dosing, no c02, very very minimal pruning....all are dirt capped with sand. Simple plants, low lights and thats it. Some plants do better than others but its trial and error and thats the fun of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea i get what your saying and if i had a disposible income i would but right now im out of work and this is just not a trial and error situation cant waste the small (limitable( budget that i have for this tank

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.