The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i am really interested in mnaking a plant tank.... i know its alot to ask but i need to know everything about it.... i look around at the forum but it dont break stuff down so im kina confused.... i want to know what youll need to set up an aquarium and basicly how it works... thanks everyone in advance im really excited to get this started

·
Registered
365 Posts
For a planted tank, the very least you'll need is a light and substrate to hold down the plants. That will suffice for low-tech tanks. It gets much more complicated with CO2 and ferts if you decide to go high tech.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ok a really good way to get a good handle on planted aquariums and how to set them up and everything you need to know about them can be found in the book "Peter Hiscocks encyclopidia of aquarium plants" So i suggest finding it at your local library like i did or order it on amazon for less than 20$ i thought, i know it sounds like a lot but its more then worth it !!

·
Registered
134 Posts
"The Planted Tank Guide" at the top of this page is a good resource also. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ok a really good way to get a good handle on planted aquariums and how to set them up and everything you need to know about them can be found in the book "Peter Hiscocks encyclopidia of aquarium plants" So i suggest finding it at your local library like i did or order it on amazon for less than 20$ i thought, i know it sounds like a lot but its more then worth it !!
An excellent point. While the net does contain a lot of information, it is also a lot to take in all at once. There is also a lot of misinformation out there. A few good books are an excellent place to start.

I would also recommend Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquarist by Diana Walstad. It's a bit more technical than Hiscock's book, and has few pictures, but it goes in to much more depth of what is going on in the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts