The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is being taken over by a long thread algae. It’s all over everything the filter stands the glass the Driftwood plants everywhere mainly the Driftwood. I take out as much as I can with my hands then do a 50% water change and three days later it’s growing back like a weed. I checked the ammonia levels and they are zero, and nitrate levels barely register. Nothing is different in the tank and the light levels have not been changed in 2 years. The tank is nowhere near being overstocked. And feeding has been the same for the last two years as well. How can I stop this from happening and get rid of this garbage. It takes over the tank literally in about a week to a week and a half. Help!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
My tank is being taken over by a long thread algae. It’s all over everything the filter stands the glass the Driftwood plants everywhere mainly the Driftwood. I take out as much as I can with my hands then do a 50% water change and three days later it’s growing back like a weed. I checked the ammonia levels and they are zero, and nitrate levels barely register. Nothing is different in the tank and the light levels have not been changed in 2 years. The tank is nowhere near being overstocked. And feeding has been the same for the last two years as well. How can I stop this from happening and get rid of this garbage. It takes over the tank literally in about a week to a week and a half. Help!
Algae is caused by an imbalance of light and nutrients. You mentioned that the tank has been running for a while and presumably no algae like this. Algaes colonize tanks from a variety of sources including literally floating in on the air. So it's possible this type of algae is just particularly well suited to your aquarium or that something else changed to make it a more algae friendly place.

Anyway there are lots of ways of getting rid of algae, they include things like planting fast growing plants (no idea if you have plants in your tank or not but if not, now is a good time to start), adjusting light levels, doing deep gravel vacs and big water changes, and chemical additions from things like seachem excel and hydrogen peroxide. These last can be dangerous to you and/or critters in your aquarium, so they should be used carefully. We would need more details including pictures of your tank before we can help further. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts