The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fish in my tank are swing at the top of the tank and look like they are gasping for air what is wrong, I don't want to loose all my fish this just started happening today. could it be the bio wheel from a new filter that I put in an older tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you move the biowheel out of this tank with the gasping fish or remove anything from the filter? You could be having an ammonia spike if that is the case. Or could be a lack of oxygen in your water. Or something else like a toxic something getting in your tank water.

If you give more information I can try to help more. Do you have any test kits you can test the water?

Based on what you have said: if this was my tank -I would do a 25-50% water change depending on the type of fish you have, if they are sensitive or tap water is very different from your tank then do a smaller 25% WC. I would add an air stone or increase filter flow or whatever you have that can get more oxygen in their water right away-even lowering the water level in tank may help as the filter will splash more.

Then think about any chemicals/painting/fumes that might have somehow gotten in the water. Has anything changed with the filter, is the filter working well/ is it really clogged & dirty, did you change out filter media or clean the gravel a lot recently?
Did you add fish? Did you do a water change and miss something like forget the water conditioner or add very different water to the tank? Is the heater working properly, water not too hot? Could the fish have a parasite like velvet? Any spots on the fish? That's the stuff I would look at to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the tank has been set up for a while i'd say a year or more the main thing that has changed was the bio wheel from a new filter was put in there yesterday and the tank is a little fuller than the last water change there are 4 roominess tetras 5 assorted corries a bristle nose and a G.B.R the water level could be the issue or the bio wheel everything else is normal

·
Registered
143 Posts
remove some water (lower water level) to introduce more oxygen( for the HOB/ biowheel) , maybe your tank is going through an ammonia spike and/or lack of oxygen. an air will do the job too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.