The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I want to kill my pond snails for good. I have a 75gal and 29gal both infested with pond snails (which are munching my vals) and live plants of course. The RCS will be shuffled as needed.

I am considering copper as a final solution to kill every last snail. I am aware that copper is lethal to snails.

Is there anything else I should know about using copper with live plants?
Is there anything else I consider as a cidal snail agent that will offer 100% eradication on the first attempt? Temporary high salt contect of the water? Potassium permanganate? Alum?
What is the best way to prevent hitchhiker snails from coming with new plants, a copper dip?
Links to a good source of the kind of copper or other substance I should purchase?

http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantdipsbaths.htm

Thanks,

~Dud~

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
1) Copper is bad. It can stick to things in your tank, including your substrate and possibly your plants.
2) Temporary high salt concentrations will also kill your more demanding plants. KMnO4 is the same.
3) Copper dips on new plants would be very bad for a tank with RCS....you could try high salt dips, but they'll kill some plants.

I would move all of your RCS, and get some dwarf puffers to handle the snails. They'd go after most of them...other than that, I don't think I'd use a chemical to kill the snails. Feed the DPs less and have them hunt the snails more. Don't feed the tank much to prevent overpopulation of the snails. Wait until all existing eggs hatch and let the DPs hunt down the babies.

That's how I'd do it...see bad the problem is after that and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure the snails are eating your vals and not just eating algae off of dying leaves? I've read many times that pond snails don't eat plants.

Pond snails don't last in my 29gal. I'm not sure why, as other snails do just fine. I think I remember someone postulating that ghost shrimp eat the eggs? (I may have dreamed that though.:icon_lol: )

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Ghost's will eat snail eggs.

I vote for catching them or getting a loach or Dwarf puffers or something. Copper is probably the worst thing to do if you keep other inverts.

-Andrew

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crap. I was afraid of that. :icon_lol:

Maybe I'll just put all the shimp in one tank, run the other tank with manual snail removal and a clown/yoyo/zebra loach for a couple months... then swap tanks.

Besides manual snail removal from new plants, what is the best way to make sure there are absolutely no hitchhikers?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
There is no sure way to make absolutely sure there are no hitchhikers unless you QT plants for a long while to make sure all eggs hatch and remove them from the plants.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I would still be afraid to use the tank for inverts again if it were treated with copper.

Reef keepers frown on using any tank that has ever had a copper treatment. They must have a reason for doing so.

·
Registered
689 Posts
to prevent future snails give your plants a bleech water dip and rinse before putting them in. works for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts