The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20L and all my tetras have what looks like Ick. It's only on the tetras and does not respond to normal Ick treatments. I'm on my second cycle of treating for Ick.First all I Used was QuICK Cure (10Drops for 5 Days w/ my carbon removed) and skipped a week and it looked like it was gone. In the process I lost all 5 of my cardinals. So once I thought it was gone I bought 5 Black Neons and now I have 2 left and the same crap. Now I'm also dosing MELAFIX just in case it's more than ICK.

My Questions::icon_ques
Is what I'm doing safe, and is there some thing that only effects Tetras that looks like ICK?

Sorry for the Grainy pic. I've done something to my camera and I'm struggling to get it back :icon_cry:

Help if you can. :help:

Thank You,

Danny :cool:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do a 40% water change replace the carbon it will remove minerals and raise the temp. to 82F for two weeks. If you have all tropical fish 80F to 82F is recomended all the time. As you see tetras dont like treatment for Ick. I would check for other toxins in your water parameters as well. Continue to do water change's twice a week. and dont let your temp fall below 80F at night.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I Appreciate the help. I'll do the Water change Now.

Other Tank Residents are: 5 Mystery Snails, 1 Sm. Amazon Frog, 3 Ram's, 3 Cockatoo's, 4 Mollies and 10-15 Ghost Shrimp. The 82° Temp is ok for them as well :icon_ques

Thanks,

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would look at this article about using heat to treat ich: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

82° is probably not going to be high enough.
Your fish should all be able to tolerate the elevated temps, just raise the temp very slowly over a long period of time (24-48 hrs). Warmer water holds less oxygen so you might want to add an airstone.

Be aware that just because you don't see the white dots doesn't mean the ich is eradicated. The above article gives a good description of their life cycle.

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a Bunch :proud:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.