The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 25 gallon low tech Platy tank, and a recently set up 2.5 gallon betta tank that both have a stubborn case of algae. It is short, bristley, (looks like stubble) and light green in colour. It grows on everything and, is very tough. It's impossible to mechanically remove from plants, and takes vigourous work with a algae magnet to remove it from the glass. I can't find out what it is, and would like nothing more than to make it dead :mad: Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am currently having that, too. I have no idea what it is, and im not really worried about it since its not growing on a plant that i like. did you lose power last week? mine was out for like twoish days (im not really sure, i was in virginia). so it could be something to do with lack of filtration and lack of heat and lack of light that it likes? sorry im absolutely no help. will you ever forgive me?

·
Registered
83 Posts
oopsy i didnt see u live in canada. so u probably didnt lose power. sorry again.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not green spot, and I can't find it in that link. all the hair like algae I see is long and thick this stuff is short and sparse. Is it possible that I just has't filled in yet? It has been there for a while. Let me see if I can get a picture of it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a 25 gallon low tech Platy tank, and a recently set up 2.5 gallon betta tank that both have a stubborn case of algae. It is short, bristley, (looks like stubble) and light green in colour. It grows on everything and, is very tough. It's impossible to mechanically remove from plants, and takes vigourous work with a algae magnet to remove it from the glass. I can't find out what it is, and would like nothing more than to make it dead :mad: Please help. Thanks.
Sounds maybe like beard algae? Looks like patches of green carpet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It does somewhat, but it is not in dense patches. In fact you can easily see each individual strand (very small sticking out perpendicular from the glass). I almost think I got green dust algae.
I guess I got three weeks of hell, waiting till the life cycle completes. Then I can finally win. I've been hoping that it was something else though...:frown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.