The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some stems of tonina lotus blossom and they are browning from the bottom up and loosing their leaves. its not too rapid, and i assumed it was just the normal thing that happens to stems over time - the bottoms get bare and raggedy. but the browning keeps going up, and the sideshoots browned too.
the stem itself is still firm and living.

the tank is ADA AS new amazonia, with a bit of mineralized topsoil underneath.
its 20 gallons with 65w PC 10,000k, CO2 injection and good flow. the plants pearl, in the afternoon, so i dont think its a light/CO2 issue.
kh - 2
gh - 4
NO3 - ~25ppm
ph - 5.8

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Hm, idk. Tom's plants look fine, but they do look a little worse on the bottom. I would recommend keeping only the trimmed tops and planting them.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm, idk. Tom's plants look fine, but they do look a little worse on the bottom. I would recommend keeping only the trimmed tops and planting them.
the growth from the top and decay from the bottom are at roughly the same speed. and since the sideshoots grow slower, they get browned out. if i cant propagate the plant i wont be keeping it. 3 stems isnt enough too look good, i need to grow it out.
moved 1 of the 3 stems into my emmersed setup, to see how it does there.

I am having the same problem!! I have a 55 gal. My parameters and regime are basically the same. I have wonderful growth above the brown. Kinda frustrating. Got mine from Tom.
Thanks,
Tim
maddening isnt it? i see glorious new sideshoots, appear and a few weeks later they are brown as the brown creeps up.
i have erios doing great in the same tank, so i dont know why the tonina isnt doing well. i have e. parkeri doing good, e. cinerium splitting, and a strange e. parkeri that mutated or something and is now much larger than it should be and with red striping.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
maddening isnt it? i see glorious new sideshoots, appear and a few weeks later they are brown as the brown creeps up.
i have erios doing great in the same tank, so i dont know why the tonina isnt doing well. i have e. parkeri doing good, e. cinerium splitting, and a strange e. parkeri that mutated or something and is now much larger than it should be and with red striping.
Eriocaulon packeri and cinerum are actually supposed to be easy erios. Tonina is a very tough plant.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eriocaulon packeri and cinerum are actually supposed to be easy erios. Tonina is a very tough plant.
well im determined to make it grow. :)
just gotta figure out what the problem is...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've been having the same issues.
It started with a new stem plant L. Atlantis. It starts to brown on the bottom and spreads thru the whole stem side shots also. It also jumped to my L Glandulsoa that I've had for over a year. It has not effected any of my swords or crypts
I have removed all the effected plants and I'm waiting to see what's going to happen now.
I'm hoping for the best.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Light seems to be the largest factor IME.

If you have a wide spread and the plants are not bunched too close or shaded by other plants, they seem to do much better.

I replant them maybe once every 2 months, and I carefully trim the old rot off the bottom, saving the side shoots. Then try and provide the side shoots with lots of light and space.

I have not tried growing them in sand, flourite etc, only ADA AS which likely is why the bottoms are blackish. I say this because the floating plants do very well and do not develop that. But floating raggy plants are not things I like in my tanks.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Light seems to be the largest factor IME.

If you have a wide spread and the plants are not bunched too close or shaded by other plants, they seem to do much better.

I replant them maybe once every 2 months, and I carefully trim the old rot off the bottom, saving the side shoots. Then try and provide the side shoots with lots of light and space.

I have not tried growing them in sand, flourite etc, only ADA AS which likely is why the bottoms are blackish. I say this because the floating plants do very well and do not develop that. But floating raggy plants are not things I like in my tanks.
do you think 65w power compact is too little for it in 20 long?
its not really being shaded...
ill try moving the 2 stems (one is now in my emersed setup) closer towards the center, where they should get a touch more light.

the fixture has a second 65 watt PC lamp, which i use for noon bursts, but i havent turned it on, as im still in the process of eradicating the algae from start up. got rid of all the BBA, but still have some long filamentous green algae, not sure which kind.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
The problem with that light is that is will not properly light the whole tank. The center of your tank will get a lot, perhaps too much light, and the ends won't get enough. I'd recommend upgrading to a T5 fixture that is at least 24" long.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah, i know.
ive had it for years, thats why i chose it for the tank: cuz i already had it and thus it was by far the cheapest option.
however its not too bad. i have 2" on either end where higher light needing plants wont do well, and i just incorporate hardier plants there.
the tonina is centered in the tank (left-to-right), and as of last night moved to the exact center.

i do plan to eventually get a T5HO fixture (never had one yet, but i see the results they produce and am looking forward to it), but thats not gonna happen in the immediate future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.