The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been pretty unhappy with everything I've put on the right corner of this tank so I'm reaching out for help.

Recommendations? Preferably something tall & fast growing.

5gal Fluval Spec - high light and pressurized CO2. Tank has been very stable for over a year.

Has RCS, Pygmy Corries, Ember tetras, & Ottos

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Sunset hygrophila is pretty nice plant. Grows fairly quick and the tops changes color depending on the conditions. Color tops vary from light green (white veins) , pink (white veins), red (pink veins), etc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Rotala would look good. I've noticed that rotundifolia tends to bend over less than some of the other varieties I've grown over the years, and it makes it all the way up to the top of my 20g tall tank in about 3 weeks after trimming. Wallichii also stays nicely upright. If you don't mind some sideways growth though, some of the darker magenta ones are awfully impressive looking.

Ludwigia ovalis is an easy, fast, attractive, and colorful plant that branches easily and would fill that in beautifully. It can be maintained very short through regular trimming, but if allowed to grow I have seen it break the surface in a 24" tall aquarium, so you can decide how much height you like and keep it there. Red mini would be a good choice too, and as a less-agressive grower it would take less effort to keep it the desired size.

If you are shooting for something a little less fast-growing (read: lower maintenance), you could consider something outside the stem plant category. Very small swords (I suggest Purple Knight, which is a hearty yet slow growing plant in non-injected tanks, but performs well high-tech) or light-tolerant cryptocoryne (most smaller windtii hybrids could work, "flamingo" would look incredible) would be less work, and easier to maintain at an appropriate size in a very small tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.