The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble identifying to properly treat this algae bloom that came out of nowhere fast. It looks to me like rhizo or synedra but I can't tell the difference honestly.

May need some assistance treating this one as I've never encountered algae like this before. This is also a new tank and I haven't done a planted tank in probably 10 years.

My phototiming is only 8hrs so I haven't changed the timing. However I'm running a 72w Hygger that ran a moonlight setting I've since turned off. Also reduced light intensity from 100 to 70.

I've done two 50% water changes this week removing as much of the algae as possible without removing the moss entirely. Doesn't seem to be working though.
Plant Terrestrial plant Branch Grass Trunk

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is a new 55g setup...
I'm currently dosing NilocG liquid ferts via EI method with 50% WC weekly.
30ppm Co2 injection daily.
Topfin pro220 filter.
Hygger 72w lighting 8hrs @70% intensity 18" from substrate, but through glass lids.

20 rummy nose tetras
10 oto's
3 nerite snails
6 peacock gobys
4 kuhli loaches

The only thing I've changed recently is adding a small powerhead with a air bubbler through it that runs at night for 6hrs.

I do think I may be over feeding which could be contributing as well.

From what I've read I may need to pull all the moss and start over unfortunately, but if there's a way around that I would love to hear it. Not entirely sure the best approach to get rid of this stuff...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I still have some Metricide and h202 from a few years back. Not sure how long the shelf life is for glut but should still be good.

Planning to remove as much algae by hand as possible. Turn off my filter and add in a powerhead for circulation and dose the whole tank with 12 tbsp H202. Let circulate for 15min then do WC.

Will then attempt a 2nd round dosing of glut. Based on the thread I recentlty read the 25ml Metricide dose for 55g should finish off the remaining algae that will then be more susceptible.

Vals probably won't be happy, but better than an algae takeover. Hope it works! Will update with results.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still have some Metricide and h202 from a few years back. Not sure how long the shelf life is for glut but should still be good.

Planning to remove as much algae by hand as possible. Turn off my filter and add in a powerhead for circulation and dose the whole tank with 12 tbsp H202. Let circulate for 15min then do WC.

Will then attempt a 2nd round dosing of glut. Based on the thread I recentlty read the 25ml Metricide dose should finish off the remaining algae that is now more susceptible.

Vals probably won't be happy, but better than an algae takeover. Hope it works! Will update with results.
Report back after you try. I fought this stuff for months and months if not over a year and never defeated it. I am not convinced it is a type of diatom.

I ended up tearing down the tank, and I am afraid of setting it back up for fear of this returning.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Report back after you try. I fought this stuff for months and months if not over a year and never defeated it. I am not convinced it is a type of diatom.

I ended up tearing down the tank, and I am afraid of setting it back up for fear of this returning.
I nuked it last night but I work 12's so I'll have to follow up on it tonight. All the fish seemed great this morning, and what little algae was left from physically removing it all turned grayish white which is a good sign.

Theres a chance I may need to do this more than once but we will see. I'm going to look into how much more I can keep dosing glut to ensure it stays gone with out stressing out my fish today, will post an update tonight.

Plant community Natural landscape Wood Branch Plant

Plant Purple Organism Terrestrial plant Wood

Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass

I'm definitely not out of the woods yet, but it made a night n day difference. My oto's don't seem very happy though. I'm going to keep dosing micros/macros and glut every day and on water change day Sunday I think I'm gonna do another round of one two punch. Will keep dosing glut until Sunday week 2. If it's not gone by then I'll pull the moss entirely and attempt one last nuke. Hopefully I'm not doing anything too drastic.

My HC started melting while the patch on the other side of the tank is seemingly doing fine. Not sure if this is related or not.

Plant Wood Grass Terrestrial plant Houseplant

Plant Bedrock Vegetation Wood Grass

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two rounds of one two punch a week apart over two weeks, coupled with daily glut dosing did the trick!

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Reptile Organism

1 - 7 of 7 Posts