The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my snail shells look bad and they stop breeding so i was told calcium would fix this I have hard water so what do I need to feed to fix this?:help:

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can try finely crushing egg shells and giving it to them

·
Registered
90 Posts
We dried egg shells and ground them up in a coffee grinder. I have thrown in a teaspoon for 5 gallons and it looked like a snow globe for a week but the snails and shrimp ate all of it. I kind of liked the snowstorm look too :p

I had cuttlebone in the aquariums and don't like the lump of white in there, or the browning of the cuttlebone over time. I'm going back to the egg-shells only.

I read about the Tums, but we only have the flavored tums and decided not to use it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As a variant to the above, calcium supplements may work. It's not going to be as cheap as what others have suggested here but there are powdered calcium supplements available. I make my own frozen fish food and add Dicalcium Phosphate in powdered form to a LONG list of ingredients. If you research some of the gelatin-based fish food formulas (lots of them on YT), you could easily shorten/tailor the ingredients to the needs of inverts and offer it as a straight-up food or just a supplement.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What's your pH, KH and GH?

As mentioned, you can try adding in some calcium carbonate source (egg shells, oyster shells, crushed coral, cuttle bone, etc).

If you really do have hard water, then I'd suspect your KH/pH is low.

Usually a whitening of the shell is lack of calcium. Pitting/corrosion/dissolved shells are from too acidic water and/or not enough carbonates in the water.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys anyone do this it looks this an easy ways fix this and cheep Diatomaceous Earth it ground Fossil shell can eat it I put some in dropper bottle about a table spoon to a 4 OZ. add water and do one drop per gal. snails starting to look better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would recommend before you go about looking for easy ways to change your water parameters to first establish what those parameters are using a test kit. Once you establish those parameters than you can worry about changing them. There is a chance that your issues are caused by something other than your parameters in which case you will need to fix that rather than changing your parameters.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well snail are looking great now that i have started using this in water and color is coming back now and that's fast work as you can really see how much it has help them ,hey FreashwaterAdvice what a good test kit to have on hand as I just have stripes for ph and anmo?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.