The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a plant package in and found this this little fella , any ideas what type of snail he is ?
Sorry for the poor picture quality.

·
Registered
744 Posts
+1 on the Leopard Ramshorn. I found one of these on a plant I got from the LFS, and thought they looked awesome so I kept it. Now I wish I hadn't because I have to pick them out of my tank weekly and smash the egg sacs everytime I see them which is every other day. These darn snails produce more rapidly then pond snails and they riddle my plants with holes if I don't keep there numbers down to bare minimums! If it were me, I'd get rid of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my ramshorn. He's an algae eating machine. If you only have one I think you should keep it (it can't reproduce with itself, although I guess it could already be carrying eggs... I'm still pro snail though).

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1 on the Leopard Ramshorn. I found one of these on a plant I got from the LFS, and thought they looked awesome so I kept it. Now I wish I hadn't because I have to pick them out of my tank weekly and smash the egg sacs everytime I see them which is every other day. These darn snails produce more rapidly then pond snails and they riddle my plants with holes if I don't keep there numbers down to bare minimums! If it were me, I'd get rid of it.
You'll have less snails if you don't overfeed, and ramshorns don't eat plants, they will eat dead plant material. If you have holes in your plants, sounds more like a mineral deficiency.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You'll have less snails if you don't overfeed, and ramshorns don't eat plants, they will eat dead plant material. If you have holes in your plants, sounds more like a mineral deficiency.
That's what I thought too, and I cut back on feeding after removing 2 sandwhich bags of these snails. Then after a week of careful feeding, in the am turning lights on, the ramshorns were covering my soft leaved lotus that was in fine condition at lights out the night before and when they all left, the plant was rittled with holes and tears. I figured they were eating the plants because they were unable to find food. I am very diligent about feeding slowly so that the fish are able to eat up everything before it hits the substrate. I watch the feeding like a hawk. The Angels and Betta are fed by hand after the Puntius Denisonii feed. Since the lotus I pick these things out of my tank everytime I see one no matter what I was about to do at the time. They have put holes in a few other plants too...maybe there is a difficiency somewhere, but the only time I find new holes is in the morning after the snails fed for the night.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I placed the snail in a new tank so if its a male then maybe he will be alone and I won't have a population problem .... I guess time will tell !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.