The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have three GBR's in my planted tank and one is now sick... She was looking perfectly normal last night, but this morning I noticed that she has this small white dot right by her eye. No other fish in the tank have anything similar either. She's been very timid and shy all day, constantly hiding by different pieces of wood. When she does move around the tank she is very slow, and often tips over before righting herself back up.

I have a smaller tank, maybe 5-10 gallons, that I can set up as a QT tank for her. But my main question is what do you think it is? And what type of medication should I be using?

Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Api melafix worked for me with ich issues and mounth fungal on GBR a few months ago. My GBR died a week ago, 2 years old

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
So sorry to hear that you lost your GBR! But thank you for the suggestion, I was worried that it could be HITH

·
Registered
298 Posts
So sorry to hear that you lost your GBR! But thank you for the suggestion, I was worried that it could be HITH
No worries, he served as fertilizer to my garden. So he is in the nature again. Anyway, i didn't say it was ich or mouth fungus, i said that api melafix worked for these stuff. Check for general medicine for GBR

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Looks like HITH to me. Have you noticed these white areas eventually burst and appear red/infected?
This condition is common for rams, discus, Angels.

Treatment:
*Put in quarantine tank.
*Turn temperature slowely up to 88 degrees.
* Treat with metronidazole. Active ingredient in Seachem Kanaplex. Or get 100% metronidazole powder from Jehmco.com or Angelsplus.com.
* If fish is showing signs of weakness, lethargy, not eating, combine metronidazole with kanamycin. Can us Seachem Kanaplex or get 100% kanamyacin powder from the two other online vendors mentioned.
* Treat for 10 days.
* Keep water very clean. Change water- at least 50%- every 3 days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like HITH to me. Have you noticed these white areas eventually burst and appear red/infected?
This condition is common for rams, discus, Angels.

Treatment:
*Put in quarantine tank.
*Turn temperature slowely up to 88 degrees.
* Treat with metronidazole. Active ingredient in Seachem Kanaplex. Or get 100% metronidazole powder from Jehmco.com or Angelsplus.com.
* If fish is showing signs of weakness, lethargy, not eating, combine metronidazole with kanamycin. Can us Seachem Kanaplex or get 100% kanamyacin powder from the two other online vendors mentioned.
* Treat for 10 days.
* Keep water very clean. Change water- at least 50%- every 3 days.

Thank you so much for your advice! It was incredibly helpful, but unfortunately, the little one died yesterday. I have a few questions though...

1. I ordered the Seachem Kanaplex but my LFS had Seachem MetroPlex which I picked up because it is mostly all metronidazole. Is that what you meant in the third bullet?

2. Should I treat the entire tank now? Or should I remove the other GBR's and put them in the QT tank for treatment?
- They're not showing any signs, but I want to clear anything out before it has a chance to affect them

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice! It was incredibly helpful, but unfortunately, the little one died yesterday. I have a few questions though...

1. I ordered the Seachem Kanaplex but my LFS had Seachem MetroPlex which I picked up because it is mostly all metronidazole. Is that what you meant in the third bullet?
Yes, that's what I meant. Sometimes there is a glitch between the brain and the typing hand. :)
2. Should I treat the entire tank now? Or should I remove the other GBR's and put them in the QT tank for treatment?

- They're not showing any signs, but I want to clear anything out before it has a chance to affect them

I would feed the Metroplex to the other GBR's in food with binder. The binder helps the medication bind to food. You can use either Seachem Focus or just a get a food-grade gelatin like Knox Gelatin. In this case, there is no need to remove fish from display tank to quarantine tank.

There is no reason to treat with the Kanamycin because there is presently no secondary bacterial infection in other GBR's..
Thank you!

I added responses to original message.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added responses to the original message.
No worries, I have that glitch happen pretty often too!

And I added it to the tank yesterday but I'm not sure how much they were able to get. And now the larger of the two is definitely looking less colorful, is that a sign to worry? Also, she laid some eggs on Saturday and has been guarding them but today when we got up they were all gone. Could she just be tired from that whole process?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
No worries, I have that glitch happen pretty often too!

And I added it to the tank yesterday but I'm not sure how much they were able to get. And now the larger of the two is definitely looking less colorful, is that a sign to worry? Also, she laid some eggs on Saturday and has been guarding them but today when we got up they were all gone. Could she just be tired from that whole process?
If she was on eggs she is not sick. That is a sign of health.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If she was on eggs she is not sick. That is a sign of health.
Okay, that's awesome to hear! I got worried because this was the first time that she got pale after she had laid and been protecting her eggs.

On a related note, how often should she be laying eggs? I got her a month ago and she's already tried three times. This last time was the first time that it looked like the male did his part, but they are always gone by the third morning.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Okay, that's awesome to hear! I got worried because this was the first time that she got pale after she had laid and been protecting her eggs.

On a related note, how often should she be laying eggs? I got her a month ago and she's already tried three times. This last time was the first time that it looked like the male did his part, but they are always gone by the third morning.

Mine typically lay 1 time weekly until they get it right. But, they do not lay all year around at the same rate. Just like all cichlids they lay according to seasonal changes in conjunction with biological clock. I give my pairs a couple tries and if eat 2 times on the 3rd I let them spawn and then take the female out and leave in the male. I have found that the males in this species are much better at tending to eggs and fry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.