The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 7 months ago I had a "plumber" install my RO unit (Kent Marine Hi-S 35 gallon/day). This RO unit ran at my school where I teach for 1 1/2 years. I never changed the membrane or the filters. When the RO unit was installed at my house it was producing RO Water at a couple of drops an hour plus the water was hard, about 3 degrees. So I changed my filter and membrane. Now it takes about two weeks to get to 35 gallons a day and the water is not hard. Just recently I noticed that it was producing hard water again and the RO water production has slowed down.

Right now I have it plumbed into the hard water line. Should I plumb it into the soft water line?

It also is producing way to much waste water...constant flow. I know this is not correct. The waste water can probably fill up a 5 gallon bucket in 20 min. :help:

The manufacture says that cold water can have an affect on the membrane and the water production. The hard water line that the RO unit is plumbed into is cold well water. Not sure what the temp is. Can this also be causing the problem?

Water pressure is at 50psi

I replaced the filters about 5 months ago and the membrane 4 months

Any Help?

Ben

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Depending on how many solids there are in your water, I went with the easy solution. I built a "tap water condition" like the one aquarium phamacudicals sells, but it works a lot better and in the long run is cheaper. It's a 3 chamber set-up from AirWaterIce.com it' 2 carbon chambers and a refillable DI chamber (no RO). Yeah the DI resin burns out faster, but I can make 5 gallons in 25 minutes and it's VERY pure. I love it! If you have VERY HARD water though you'll blow through the resin too fast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts