The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I decided to add plants to an open tank and need help with some questions

1- any one know of products used to hang plants? I saw a guy using a regular cloths hanger, slipping it into silicon air tube, then shaping it to desire. Its DYI , its kind of what I want but I wonder if there is a ready made ones.

2- i dont like long roots, if i cut the roots will the plant be ok with small roots or bigger plants need bigger roots or else they die?

3- Saw a guy on youtube saying to use Dracaena (lucky bamboo-please see attached image) . Did quick search and found most have thick stems and small leaves, not huge leaves like his. Is this a different plant? cant I cut the stem and just keep the leaves part?

4- Heard a guy say any plant can survive with its roots in the water and leaves in the air , its called aquaponics . is this true? he was talking about White Ribbon
Plant Terrestrial plant Houseplant Grass Flowering plant

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Hello, I decided to add plants to an open tank and need help with some questions

1- any one know of products used to hang plants? I saw a guy using a regular cloths hanger, slipping it into silicon air tube, then shaping it to desire. Its DYI , its kind of what I want but I wonder if there is a ready made ones.

2- i dont like long roots, if i cut the roots will the plant be ok with small roots or bigger plants need bigger roots or else they die?

3- Saw a guy on youtube saying to use Dracaena (lucky bamboo-please see attached image) . Did quick search and found most have thick stems and small leaves, not huge leaves like his. Is this a different plant? cant I cut the stem and just keep the leaves part?

4- Heard a guy say any plant can survive with its roots in the water and leaves in the air , its called aquaponics . is this true? he was talking about White Ribbon View attachment 1046016
1) What you are looking for is called a wabi-kusa hanger.

2) Some plants might tolerate having their roots regularly trimmed, others might straight up die on you. If it were me, I'd trim the roots when they got really long (10+ inches - back to around 10 inches max) but otherwise put them in a spot where their long growth would not be a distraction; such as behind hardscape or behind long stems.

3) The bamboo in the picture looks like a different cultivar then the one I see in the store.

4) This is mostly true but not completely. I've definitely killed a bromeliad trying to grow it aquaponically in my tank before. You also need to have enough nutrients in the water to support the growth which tends to be far more vigorous then submerged plants.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) What you are looking for is called a wabi-kusa hanger.

2) Some plants might tolerate having their roots regularly trimmed, others might straight up die on you. If it were me, I'd trim the roots when they got really long (10+ inches - back to around 10 inches max) but otherwise put them in a spot where their long growth would not be a distraction; such as behind hardscape or behind long stems.

3) The bamboo in the picture looks like a different cultivar then the one I see in the store.

4) This is mostly true but not completely. I've definitely killed a bromeliad trying to grow it aquaponically in my tank before. You also need to have enough nutrients in the water to support the growth which tends to be far more vigorous then submerged plants.
thank you

you mean plants with roots in water need more nutrients to grow? or you mean they grow faster in water?

my tank already has some pothos but i am getting brown spots algae . my understanding this happens because of nutrients in the water. if i add more plants , it will suck the nutrients and the algae will eventually disappear by its own. is this correct?

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
thank you

you mean plants with roots in water need more nutrients to grow? or you mean they grow faster in water?

my tank already has some pothos but i am getting brown spots algae . my understanding this happens because of nutrients in the water. if i add more plants , it will suck the nutrients and the algae will eventually disappear by its own. is this correct?
Plants growing in atmosphere generally grow faster (often times bigger as well) then plants growing submerged. That generally means using more nutrients. Since a lot of fertilizer is designed for aquatic plant needs, you may or may not need to up dosage levels depending on what you are growing etc.

Algae can form from a lot of different things but generally it means an imbalance. If this is a new tank, your brown algae is likely diatoms which go away on their own. To figure out what kind of algae you have and how to treat it we would need a picture and some more information on your tank.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Roots don't generally drowned but they do die from lack of oxygen in saturated soils or attack by pathogens in wet environments.
Fun example..
StackPath

Aquatic submerged plants are CO2 limited for the most part.
Terrestrials are generally not.

CO2 ----- Water ------- Nutrients
All need to be in balance.

Just adding more plants isn't t likely to cure the problem.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
1- if you're more into the DIY route, you can use the suction cup shower backets

2- Yes you can trim roots, but it will stunt growth substainially (some plants like peace lily tolerate it much better than others)

3- no idea, never grew luck bamboo

4- Not all plants will tolerate wet roots, but as long as they're inexpensive you can always try... Most of what you can find at home depot/lowes/etc will adapt... some of your stem aquatics and rosettes can be grown out of water, IF thy are adapated slowly, though they prefer high humidity

If you don't like roots in the tank, you can always get a large hang on back filter remove the filter media and put your plants in that, (if you use an aqua clear filter you can always get smaller impellers to slow the amount of water being moved). Or make a riparium filter box that sits above the tank (see my signature for an example)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plants growing in atmosphere generally grow faster (often times bigger as well) then plants growing submerged. That generally means using more nutrients. Since a lot of fertilizer is designed for aquatic plant needs, you may or may not need to up dosage levels depending on what you are growing etc.
You know great info on the wabi-kusa hanger thats what I wanted except it seems like a rare item, not available on Amazon, Etsy, or Walmart.

Roots don't generally drowned but they do die from lack of oxygen in saturated soils or attack by pathogens in wet environments.
Fun example..
StackPath

Aquatic submerged plants are CO2 limited for the most part.
Terrestrials are generally not.

CO2 ----- Water ------- Nutrients
All need to be in balance.

Just adding more plants isn't t likely to cure the problem.
I thought algae grows because of nutrients in the water and no plants to feed on it. Once there are plants it will suck the nutrients from the algae and eventually the algae will disappear?

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
You know great info on the wabi-kusa hanger thats what I wanted except it seems like a rare item, not available on Amazon, Etsy, or Walmart.

I thought algae grows because of nutrients in the water and no plants to feed on it. Once there are plants it will suck the nutrients from the algae and eventually the algae will disappear?
It isn't a simple fertilizer thing.. Nutrients include CO2.
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Algae in a Fishtank

·
Registered
4,403 Posts

I mean they are not that rare. You can get them from aquarium companies like buceplant, aqua forest aquarium and aqualabaquaria.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1- if you're more into the DIY route, you can use the suction cup shower backets

4- Not all plants will tolerate wet roots, but as long as they're inexpensive you can always try... Most of what you can find at home depot/lowes/etc will adapt... some of your stem aquatics and rosettes can be grown out of water, IF thy are adapated slowly, though they prefer high humidity

If you don't like roots in the tank, you can always get a large hang on back filter remove the filter media and put your plants in that, (if you use an aqua clear filter you can always get smaller impellers to slow the amount of water being moved). Or make a riparium filter box that sits above the tank (see my signature for an example)
shower brackets and baskets can work yes, but I kind of like to keep it as low key as possible the wabi-kusa hangers are kind of exactly what I want but if I can't find them I will consider other options! Great ideas. Hang on filter is another great idea but they will require plugging it into electricity and I kind of want as little electric gadgets as possible. Already I have the light, canister filter, and air pump taking 3 sockets. Great ideas over all!

The riparium filter box is a functional method but looks ugly imo, I kind of want the plants to look like growing out of the aquarium. What I can do is that I can probably create an acrylic clear box and drill holes in its sides and hang it in the aquarium itself.

As for the roots, do they have to stick out vertically into the tank because in a box they will spin and circle around themselves. I am thinking maybe I can tie them with a zip tie or a fish like and stick them with a suction cup to one of the tank's corners.

great ideas!

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Analysis of the Estimative Index (EI) nutrient dosing approach

But what about algae? EI theory is based on the idea that if plant growth is taken cared of, plant mass will out-compete algae. It says that algae presence is not determined by whether nutrients are available or not, but rather whether or not there is sufficient plant mass to compete algae (not only in terms of nutrients, but space, light). Healthy plants are the best defence against algae.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes this is what I am talking about, but if there is enough plant mass that should kill the algae eventually since even though light is present there is not enough nutrients for algae to survive, correct?

But one question is, why is it that algae that dies and not the plant? Why wouldn't we say if enough algae is in the tank it will suck the nutrients away from the plants not the other way around? My only guess is that plants consume nutrients at much faster rate leading to the hunger and eventual death of algae

1 - 14 of 14 Posts